Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What Is On Your List of Mom Commandments?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:52 AM
  • 2 Replies

10 Commandments of Motherhood

Posted by Jeanne Sager

little girlI'm probably the last mom you would expect to hear quoting the 10 Commandments. I gave up on organized religion a long time ago. And yet, there's some pretty solid advice in there for kids. No one wants to raise the kid who kills or steals, right?

We've modified it a bit for our family to cut out the overtly religious mentions, but my kid knows there are some hard and fast rules you just don't break in life. It's got me wondering: what if there was a 10 Commandments for moms? Rules that have nothing to do with religion but rules we just don't break? What would that look like?

I sat down and thought about it, and here's what I came up with. Here are my Ten Commandments as a mom, the things I need to remember to do (or not do) if I want to raise a good kid:

Thou Shalt:

Give in and read another chapter at bed time once in awhile, even when you're bone tired.

Apologize when you're wrong.

Let them eat candy for dinner at least once a year.

Take them outside long after they should be in bed so you can watch the stars together.

Help when they ask for it nicely (but feel free to ignore them when they whine incessantly). 

Thou Shalt Not:

Forget to pack your kid's lunch on field trip day.

Say no to another kiss and another hug at bedtime.

Eat the last cookie.

Be too honest about what you're thinking. 

Forget what it was like to be a kid.

What's on your list of mom commandments?

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Thou shalt not drop you stuff on the floor as soon as you walk in the door.

lorial58
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:09 PM

1. This is OUR house not MY house so everyone chips in to help clean up.  

2. You will never, ever lie to the parents.  We trust you implicitly until you give us reason not to and then your life becomes a living hell.

3. You will never, ever make someone feel bad about something they have said or done or what they look like.

4. You will have a mental health day where just you and Mommy get to go out and play or shop or eat or whatever we want to do together just to celebrate how much we love each other.  And we will NOT brag about all the things we did to the rest of the kids in our family who had to go to school that day.

5.You will remember to compliment your friends or people who have no friends when they are doing or wearing something that you like.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN