Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
Anyone know any books on helping your child fit in?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Replies (11-17):
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I would contact her school and see if there is a group that focuses on social skills that she can participate in.  Often there are groups like this at school and a counselor or educator meets with teh kids to role play situations and what would be socially acceptable. 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Fit in how?  You want them to be a sheep or just to make friends?  I agree with the others, encourage them to follow their interests and they will find friends that way. DD is 6 and doesnt have friends outside of school.  She sees her cousins maybe once a year if that.   I would just take her to different family events so that she can notice how other families interact with each other and perhaps talk to her teacher about a possible mentor that is an older child to help.

Sandiekd21
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Why would you want them to?
My children are unique and fun individuals.
I don't want to hamper that. I don't want kids who just go along with the 'cool crowd'.

mereinhart28
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I'm beginning to see this with my daughter as well. The past few weeks she has come home from school in tears because kids are "being mean" not letting her play at recess. It's pretty frustrating for me, I can only imagine how she feels. Some of the kids doing this have been friends with her since Kindergarten. I'm really not sure why this kind of thing goes on. One week they are her friends, the next they don't like her and the cycle continues. 

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Bump
mommek8e
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I appreciate the feedback! I think she is going to be fine, but I am certainly going to try role playing. I am going to get the book, I Like Me, as well. She is such a loving, fun, and happy lil girl! And the family getting together on holidays is my heaven!!! We went to see fam to meet a new baby cousin, and she played and climbed a tree and played so well! The kids had such a ball!! I just want her to take the things to heart that people say, like that she is not special- all children are special! Bc they are children! I just don't feel like she should be told that no one in the whole school doesn't like her bc she is annoying. Sure, she can be annoying at times, but dadgum, what kid isn't? She certainly doesn't ruin things, either. These are what 2 lil boys are telling her. Her teacher has already passed on some concerns to her counselor-they pull them out in groups occasionally and work with them. I just want her to make friends and recognize ppl and what they say for what they really other. I love the part about telling her that ppl responses don't reflect on you. I think that I always took and sometimes still do take things personally. I have to remind myself that it is not all about me all the time.
mommek8e
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Not take things to heart, I mean!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)