Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

The Dangerous Days of Daniel X

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Max
  • 3 Replies

Do you have a child that is a good reader, but doesn't really enjoy reading? I highly recommend you have them check out the Daniel X series by James Patterson. 

Daniel X is an orphaned alien hunter completing his parents' mission to rid the earth of 20 dangerous aliens. In the first book he sets his sights on #6 from the list. He may have gotten in over his head. Even with his super powers such as massive strength, speed, and telekinesis he is no match for the evil alien. 

This isn't what I call literature, but it's the kind of the book that's really hard to put down. It's fast paced and full of action. Daniel is relatable even if he's not very realistic. Patterson (yes, the James Patterson) does a couple of brilliant things to hook his young readers. First of all the chapters are super short.  Kids love when they can whip out 3 o 4 chapters in one setting. Also, as each chapter ends there is some cliff hanger or unanswered question. Since you know the next chapter is only a couple of pages it's a great motivation to keep going. So even though it's over 200 pages the kids have been finishing it in a couple of days. (So did I BTW)

I would recommend this book for upper elementary age kids. Some of the action is intense. The book opens with the description of Daniel's parents being killed by an alien when he was three. The reading level is mid fourth grade. But much older kids would be interested in it too. The kids in my class are fighting over the library's copies of the other books in the series. That's about my favorite thing to see!

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I reshelve his youth books frequently in our middle school library (grades 5-8)- that tells me they must be good : )

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:23 AM

BUMP!

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:12 AM

My son never got into these books. I downloaded some on my kindle, but he never really got into it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)