Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

edit: Discipling a 10 year old

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm not feeling too well today so I told my son that I am going to take a nap. I was asleep for an hour and he ate 7 oatmeal cream pies. I was furious and asked him why he thought it was okay. He said, "I didn't think you'd get this mad." Meaning he knew I would get mad. I told him to go to his room, and now I have to figure out how I'm going to handle this. He does this quite often but usually it is with bread. He is not overweight but is ALWAYS hungry. I need ideas. He just came and told me he doesn't feel very well. No kidding!

edit:

I think the fact that we NEVER have these in the house definitely factored into his going overboard.  He had a class party and everything has to be prepackaged.  These were the leftovers. 

He has had bloodwork done because he was recently diagnosed with ADD. Nothing abnormal.

I like the ideas of keeping snack boxes.  His usually snacks are green apples, grapes, and popcorn.  All of which we have right now too. He eats a lot of apples and bread. 

Yesterday, he spent sometime in his room.  He was pretty upset about being in trouble.  We had a talk about why it is not okay.  And a talk about sugar and obesity. 

He is 10.  I should be able to trust him to be by himself. I guess the key is prevention.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Replies (11-12):
ScarletRose4488
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:41 PM

snack boxes are great.   Also, if you search "teach nutrition" their are all sorts of things for every age to explain what is good vs bad - and why.    :)

Jen
~ I speak from the heart because the truth is always the best - even if you don't know it yet. ~
LucyHarper
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I would tell him that he has lost any kind of treats for the next nine days, in between meals he can have water and celery, to make up for the nine too many moon pies that he ate and he would get a good talking too about how it isn't healthy to eat large amounts of food at the same time and to eat so much junk food. I would also talk to him about how its a trust thing and you need to be able to trust that you can look away for a little while and he won't get into things that he knows hes not supposed to get into, that hes too old for that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN