Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Community Theater...

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:50 PM
  • 21 Replies
My younger two kids are in their first community theater production. They are doing Dr. Doolittle.

Sean (12yo ds) is the lion ~ several scenes of speaking
Heidi (9yo DD) is a monkey ~ no speaking.

Has anyone's kids done this?

DS2 wants to actually try to be an actor. I'm looking into his options. So far he loves it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Not yet.   The music teacher mentioned possibility of dd being in the school choir when she is older.  She is in 1st grade right now and i guess that is too young for school choir.  I think it would be great experience for her.  I am not sure she could follow all the directions for a theatrical play.

MaddieLainesMom
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:49 AM

DD did 101 Dalmations, but she prefers to model, sing, and dance. She definitely has the drama queen part down, but isn't really interested in acting at the moment. She loves to do role play, but isn't interested in sticking to lines that are given to her. What can I say? The girl's a free spirit! 

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Ds was in two plays within a week of each other. That was chaos! He loves it though and if the community plays didn't rehearse 30 miles away on a night we are busy I would so put him in it. He's 5
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter has been doing theater since 3rd grade and absolutely loves it.  She is currently working on Les Miserables.  She's made so many great friends and really honed her skills from working on these productions. 

TroyboysMom
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:31 AM

My son isn't interested in participating, but we go to the community theater productions here whenever they have them (two or three times a year for our community rec center, and there are a couple other organizations that do productions, also.). My son loves the stories, and I love that they are relateable to children, and the atmosphere is a little more kid-friendly than traditional theater. The last few productions have actually had a few of my students as cast members!

steph21078
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:42 AM

All of my boys are involved in one of our community theaters.  My 14 yr old has done cinematography classes and they have written and filmed 2 short films for competitions. He will also be doing the sound for the musicals. 

My 12 yr old and 9 yr old are in their 2nd musical this year,  Last year they did no strings attached(pinocchio) and this year they are doing The Little mermaid.  

My 4 yr old is also doing the Little Mermaid.  

My 12 yr old is also doing the summer camp where he will be doing The aristocats and 101 dalmations.

They are also doing Annie next year.

My 12 yr old is also doing Seussical for his school this year

mama2beautiesnb
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM
7 yr old dd has already been in multiple community theater plays and dance recials, not to mention church plays. If they truly like it i say why not!
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM

My brother works in community theater so I know my kids will get into it when they are old enough. 

You couldn't pay me enough to get on a stage like that though. 

jen113000
by Jenna on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:22 AM
That's awesome!! My kids aren't into that. They are shy so far.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kblpooh
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM
My daughters have been in the community rec department theater. My youngest was an ensemble monkey in jungle book, while my oldest worked back stage. Then they were both in "Annie". My oldest was Annette the servant and my youngest was an ensemble orphan. They weren't able to try out for the current play because they will be in NYC going to see "Annie" on Broadway the weekend of the performance. They plan to try out for the next show "The Little Mermaid" in March. Our local youth theater is a great group. They just won a national award for youth theater. My girls really enjoy doing this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)