Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My son is in 3rd grade. At that age, I remember having a best friend and going over to other kids' houses. He doesn't get invited anywhere. 

He also doesn't feel lonely. He thinks he has a lot of friends. The kids don't ignore him at recess. In the summer, he plays with some of the neighborhood boys.

Am I worried over nothing?  

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Replies (11-20):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:51 PM

If he plays w/ his classmates at school, and is happy at home, I wouldn't work about it. I was very similar to your ds when I was younger. Still am, and I'm happy. Everyone is different, not everyone is a social butterfly.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I am not worried about dd who is in 1st grade.  She has alot of friends within the school but everyone is so busy with extra curricular it is hard to find time outside of school   If he isnt upset about it, you shouldnt either.

ScarletRose4488
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Things have changed a whole lot since we were in school.   I would go play outside and meet the neighbor kids.  I would go to the park and meet kids.   Now a days it seems that everyone wants to scheduale playdates.  So the kids don't get invited anywhere unless the parents pre-arrange it.   Have you thought about having them over to your house?   

Also, FYI -- many kids have cellphones (and emails & Facebook) by now and by 5th grade just about every kid does.  Mine does not and I was waiting on principle - I want her to stay a kid a bit longer.   But I am really starting to see it greatly impact her social life and even school.   So I think I will break down and get one before summer at least. 

Have you seen the commercial where the girl (College age maybe) is sitting there doing some app on her phone and her mom calls and she says she is hanging with friends even though it is just her in the room.   Unfortunatly, that is reality these days.   What I find really sad is the kids who will text each other while in the same room - it happens alot by 5th grade.  

Jen
~ I speak from the heart because the truth is always the best - even if you don't know it yet. ~
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Not all kids have the slew of friends. I never did. I was happy doing my thing, and haging with kids here and there. I was quiet. My DD is the same way. I wouldn't worry.

kailu1835
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:35 AM

If he doesn't feel lonely, then don't worry about it.  Some kids don't need to have a friend they do everything with.  If he felt there was a problem, then you'd have something to worry about.

jett286
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:38 AM

My kids always thought it was weird to invite freinds from school over to the house.  They have their buddies that they've grown up wit ( we have  group of 4 couples that we do life with..) and they are invited over, but school friends are school friends and never the two shall mix!   drives me crazy...

NewMamaBoo
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Yea

EachNewBreath
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:25 AM

oh good lord! I have often thought about this too! What happened to after school snaks at friends houses?

I think it went the way of entertaining people. Adults dont have their friends over for coffee anymore either.

I miss the old days!! I am trying to "bring it back" tee hee

story0702
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:45 AM
Yep . Me too.

Quoting jen113000:

I agree. Times are different. If he's happy I would happy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that as long as he is playing with others his social skills should be fine. I think these days parents are a) reluctant to let their kids go to other kids' homes or b) reluctant to have other kids over to their houses for a variety of reasons. We hear of so many lawsuits, violence and other pointless crimes that happen so I am sure that a lot of parents figure there is no reason to even chance it, either way. Plus families are extremely active these days- kids are in every club or sport imaginable, parents work crazy hours because they can't work 9-5 any more with the economy the way that it is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)