Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My son is in 3rd grade. At that age, I remember having a best friend and going over to other kids' houses. He doesn't get invited anywhere. 

He also doesn't feel lonely. He thinks he has a lot of friends. The kids don't ignore him at recess. In the summer, he plays with some of the neighborhood boys.

Am I worried over nothing?  

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Replies (31-40):
Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM

My girls are rarely invited to anyone's house. The only time they do is when they are playing with the neighbor kids and well it depends on what they want to do. Sometimes they are at our house and sometimes theirs. But during the winter months. We rarely see them. They also every know and then go to the lady's kids house I babysit from time to time.

We have tried having playdates at our house. People are just too busy these days. Between work and life outside of work. So I gave up.

My girls are happy and that is all that matters.

sdgd21
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM

your worried over nothing, I did not have a bff until 7th grade, some people are just picky. We home school and what I love about it the most is that my boys get to know all kind of kids, not just the ones in our area, this makes finding that close friend easier. the only down side to it is that some of my kid BFF's are on the other side of town, lol.

cjsbmom
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I think this is the norm now. Sad, but true. Even the kids in our neighborhood don't get together and play like we used to do when we were kids.

However, my son does want to have those things. He's an only child, so he wants to play with other kids and interact with them, so I feel badly when he doesn't get the chance to do so.

sophiesmom07
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:15 AM

He seems o.k with it, so I think it's fine.  

mommybug77
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Quoting EachNewBreath:

oh good lord! I have often thought about this too! What happened to after school snaks at friends houses?

I think it went the way of entertaining people. Adults dont have their friends over for coffee anymore either.

I miss the old days!! I am trying to "bring it back" tee hee

I find after school snacks and people over for coffee, as odd. I have no desire to entertain someone else's kids or have them here.
Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:55 AM

He doesn't seem to be worried about it, so you probably shouldn't be worried about it. My kids are always at friends houses, or their friends are always at our home. They have a good group of friends that they associate with at school, and as far as I can tell, are doing great socially. If he's not being invited, maybe you should see who he would like to have over and start making it a habit to have his friends over at your house instead.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I think it's perfectly fine as long as he doesn't feel lonely. Have you asked him if he wants to invite anyone over?

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I wouldn't worry unless it seems to be effecting him, which at this point it isnt. 

I feel bad for my son because he wanted to play over the summer with friends. We gave his number to 3-4 of his classmates and none called for playdates and such.

KenneMaw
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:55 PM

It wasn't until 3rd grade that my child finally made a really good friend / best friend.  She just had occassional playdates with school friends until about 4th grade, when she finally started hanging more iwth the girls.   It was a slow process and now days, kids and parents are so busy, that there just doesnt' seem to be enough time for socializing after school.   If you are concerned, then you may need to enroll your son in some type of activity outside of school.  However, if he is happy and unconcerned, then I think that is just fine.

Emiliush
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM

that's how it is..... my 7 year old brother is also like that... plays with some of the kids in the neighorhood. it's boring...!!!!!!!!!! when i was in elemtary school i was everyyy where!!!! but that was in israel.. here you need a car.. and it's not polite to just come in un-invited, but in israel i walked into my friends house like nothing..

hateee it here in Georgia!!! so sadddd...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)