Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is in 3rd grade. At that age, I remember having a best friend and going over to other kids' houses. He doesn't get invited anywhere. 

He also doesn't feel lonely. He thinks he has a lot of friends. The kids don't ignore him at recess. In the summer, he plays with some of the neighborhood boys.

Am I worried over nothing?  

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Replies (61-63):
tilly030409
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:06 PM

My DD &DSD are in the 3rd grade this year and we just had there first school friend sleepovers. I don't think I will be doing another one soon but it went pretty well.... your best bet is to make the friends with some of the other parents. I suggested they ask for kids phone number. I called the parents and introduced myself and went from there....but I am very talkative person!

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:35 AM

I don't know if you are worried for nothing or for something. My 4 year old has "friends", at least I'd like to think he does. He plays with the kids at school. The neighbor kids are a bit too "in your face" for him though.

wedding countdown

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:48 AM

My oldest is in 2nd grade.  He goes over to one friends house who lives 2 doors down from us.  Other than that, he has never been to any of his school friend's houses.  He's never been invited.  He doesn't seem to mind at all.  I think it's just how it is.

When I was his age, I lived in a very small, rather compact town.  No matter where my friends lived in town, it was reasonable for me to walk or ride my bike to their house.  Now we live in a larger suburb where things are more spread out.  It's not reasonable for him to walk or ride his bike to his friends house.  Plus, life is more hectic, traffic is more hectic.  I think it's just different these days.  I'm glad he has the one friend on our street to run around with.  Beyond that, playing with his friends at recess, at other school functions, at b-day parties, etc seems to be enough for him.

If your son isn't worried about it, then I say you shouldn't be either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)