Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Was I wrong not to call the parent?

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:54 AM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

We had our school carnival on Friday night and I arrived 10 minutes before the start to setup my portion of it.  I ran into a little girl that I know and asked where her dad was, her response he isn't coming.  I though that was a little strange seeing he was helping me out at the end of the night.  I pushed a little more and asked who she was with, her response was so and so's mom.  The little kid next to her seemed to agree, so I wasn't really concerned.  Our kids seem to group together for events and outings and other parents are always bringing other families with them.

About a 1/2 hour goes by and the dad shows up.  The little girl was suppose to go to the school daycare and had been running around the school for an hour and a half.

Besides talking with the mom of the other kid, was I wrong in not calling the parent?

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I don't think you did anything wrong at all. This isn't your responsibility. 

I'm kind of confused about exactly what the issue was. Did the other parent take the little girl without permission?

AnGLInterrupted
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

It's not your responsibility to look after another persons child unless that child was specifically put into your care.  Also, how you could you have possibly known that the child wasn't telling you the truth?  Don't beat yourself up for it.  

corrinacs
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Besides, of the place for her to be "lost", I think a school is a good one :).

Sounds like the parent tht was supposed to keep an eye on her wasn't doing such a good job though.

aj23
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:07 PM
You weren't wrong. She was supposed to go to the daycare after school and didn't and there was no way for you to know if the daycare was expecting her or if she really was with another parent. Having two kids thay went along with it makes it even tougher to know if one isnt telling the truth.
Someone messed up but from what you said it just sounds like a case of a kid playing hookie and not doing what she was supposed to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sammyreymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I'm kind of confused about exactly what the issue was. Did the other parent take the little girl without permission?

No, the little girl was already running around the school when this parent showed up.  I just got the feeling from the father that it was my responsibility to call, when I really didn't know what was already setup for his daughter.

CafeMom Tickers  pink ribbon     backpack

sammyreymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Quoting aj23:

You weren't wrong. She was supposed to go to the daycare after school and didn't and there was no way for you to know if the daycare was expecting her or if she really was with another parent. Having two kids thay went along with it makes it even tougher to know if one isnt telling the truth.
Someone messed up but from what you said it just sounds like a case of a kid playing hookie and not doing what she was supposed to do.

Thanks, that was my feeling also. 

CafeMom Tickers  pink ribbon     backpack

Rbrown72707
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:06 PM

No you weren't wrong.  How would you know?

jewel80
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:17 AM
You did nothing wrong but that parent needs to hold the school accountable ! That kid wasnt put on the bus she should of been! Its definitely the schools mess up and id be pissed at the school real pissed!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
apoynter
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Quoting sammyreymom:
  It's amazing how some parents, when they make  a 'parenting mistake' take the offensive and attack those people standing around. (My husband was Cub Master on a Father/Son campout when one of the Dads decided to leave his 1st grader with another Dad so he could leave to go to a 'grown up party'.  When it was later explained that 'for future reference'', parents need to STAY overnight with their (6-10yr old) sons, this guy called my husband everything but a white woman....when HE WAS THE ONE IN THE WRONG.    Anyway....I don't see how you did anything wrong.....he was scared, and apparently picked you to blame.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

No, the little girl was already running around the school when this parent showed up.  I just got the feeling from the father that it was my responsibility to call, when I really didn't know what was already setup for his daughter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)