Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

If your child had to switch schools, which is the best?

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM
  • 18 Replies

We want to buy a house. We don't know if it should be now, next year or in a few years. More than likely, we will not be living in this neighborhood or city when we do buy a home. We will probably buy in another suburb that is an hour away because it has top school ratings and seems like the best choice all around. Our top priority is to be in a great public school zone. The area we are in now has good schools. They are not top rated but they are good. Our son is 11 and our others are still babies so we still have time as far as they go. I don't know if it's best to move before he reaches 6th grade, after he finishes 6th grade here in this same school he's been at, or wait until he's all finished with public school and keep renting for another 6 years.I know the older they get the more crucial it is that they have a good group of friends and junior high school and high school can be tough if you're the new kid. I do not want my son to have to be the new kid anymore because we already moved twice. He really likes this neighborhood and knows all the kids and we like it here too.  Should we just put off home-buying until he graduates high school here with all of his peers? What would you do?

juggling

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:13 AM
You have to do what's best for your whole family. Only you know what that is. But I will tell you this. I went to one kindergarten, a different elementary school, a different middle school, and a different high school. All of these were schoos were children had been going to the same schools since they were in Kindy. I did just fine at making friends and being the new kid wasn't something I really thought about.
Also this is something a lot of families, including myself, face every day when you are in a line of work that demands moving to follow the job. I think children are pretty resilient and with all the technology you have at your disposal its not like he wont ever see his current friends again. While an hour is a drive, its not unreachable.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
huskermom98
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM

When I started Jr High it was in a new city because I had moved with my Mom after my parents' divorce.  It worked out for me to have to switch schools then because one of the first friends I made was someone else who had just moved to town; we then made several friends with people who had lived in town for years/all their life.  My younger brother had one year left in elementary when we moved and while he made friends, it didn't work out as good for him because within a few years he was wanting to go live with our Dad and move back to our old town.  Not sure what the difference was, but in the end I was glad I moved at the time I did.  I think a "good" time to switch schools is when there is a change in schools already going on.

That said--if you do choose to stay until your son graduates, why wouldn't you just go ahead and buy a house in that neighborhood instead of renting for another 6 years?  Renting for another 6 years just doesn't make much sense to me if you would plan on buying in a year or two if you do move...might as well get some equity going while you can.

JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:19 AM
I agree with that. If you move when a natural break occurs, like going to a middle instead of elementary it might be less of a new kid mentality sinceall the kids have to learn how to cope and deal with the new building.

Quoting huskermom98:

When I started Jr High it was in a new city because I had moved with my Mom after my parents' divorce.  It worked out for me to have to switch schools then because one of the first friends I made was someone else who had just moved to town; we then made several friends with people who had lived in town for years/all their life.  My younger brother had one year left in elementary when we moved and while he made friends, it didn't work out as good for him because within a few years he was wanting to go live with our Dad and move back to our old town.  Not sure what the difference was, but in the end I was glad I moved at the time I did.  I think a "good" time to switch schools is when there is a change in schools already going on.

That said--if you do choose to stay until your son graduates, why wouldn't you just go ahead and buy a house in that neighborhood instead of renting for another 6 years?  Renting for another 6 years just doesn't make much sense to me if you would plan on buying in a year or two if you do move...might as well get some equity going while you can.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Waiting 6 years would only mean asking the same questions about your other kids wouldn't it?

Moving can be tough but kids bounce back rather easily. Especially boys it seems.

We moved after my 10th grade year and I was fine.

Moving numerous times in a single school year isn't good but between school years is no big deal. I think too many parents try to over analyze.
Due9
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:30 AM

In 6 years our babies will just be entering kindergarten. They are only 1 year and newborn now. So they will be in the same schools and we will have bought by then.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Waiting 6 years would only mean asking the same questions about your other kids wouldn't it?

Moving can be tough but kids bounce back rather easily. Especially boys it seems.

We moved after my 10th grade year and I was fine.

Moving numerous times in a single school year isn't good but between school years is no big deal. I think too many parents try to over analyze.

juggling

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this
If you can buy a house now, buy a house. In 6 years who knows what the interest rates will be. (they're low right now.)
Your landlord could sell the house or you could start having problems and want to move at the end of your lease, then you may not be able to find another rental in your neighborhood. When you own, you don't have to worry about anything like that. Plus why pay someone else's house note, when you can pay your own.

I say move. Your son will be fine. I would just move during the summer. They'll be other new children and he'll make friends fast.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mistweave
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:18 AM
2 moms liked this

Usually middle schools are a mix of a few elementary schools so noone would notice if he was new, they'd just think he was from one of the other schools.  I'd go before he started 6th grade.

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:30 AM
I would find out when the local parochial schools join the public schools. We had a school that joined public school in 6th grade, and another in 9th grade. It's easier to find a way to fit in when there's a fairly substantial group of new students entering the school.
kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Personally id move before jr high. That gives him a good solid 2 years to make friends before going into high school. Waiting till he graduates seems silly to me. But thats me. Plus ur younger kids will be in school before that so why not start them in whatever school ur wanting? Kids r pretty resilient im sure ur son will be fine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I'd move at junior high too. If you believe that district is that much better, wouldn't you want your oldest to go to a better junior high and high school?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)