Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What Do You Think of this Resturants 'Well Behaved Child' Policy?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:49 AM
  • 28 Replies

Restaurant Gives Parents Discount for 'Well-Behaved Kids' & Sets Dangerous Precedent

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans

restaurant receiptAs any parent knows, eating out in a restaurant with children can be a bit of a dicey game. Sometimes your kids are angels, and other times you just want to crawl under the table ... if it wasn't such a horrific mess from all the food they'd thrown down there. But what if your bill depended on how well-behaved your children were?

A Reddit user recently posted a picture of a receipt from an Italian restaurant in Washington named Sogno Di Vino with a title "If only all restaurants did this for people with kids ..." On it there was a $4 discount for "well-behaved kids". A sweet gesture, and I bet those parents were pretty proud.

But the whole thing makes me kind of nervous.

Can you imagine if you were charged more for those times when your children aren't quite so good (as plenty of commenters suggested should be standard)? Or if the next time you didn't get a discount?

Eating out with children is already filled with plenty of pressure for parents. Every raised voice, every dropped spoon can make a mom feel like all eyes in the joint are searing into her. And yes, sometimes children are out of control and should be removed from a restaurant. No one deserves for their meal to be interrupted by kids gone wild, but there also needs to be a certain amount of tolerance for families dining out without parents feeling like they're being judged even more. Most children just aren't going to be seen and not heard, and as long as mom and dad are making sure they're not heard too loudly, they deserve a little bit of  a break. Having a random waitress decide what "well-behaved" is could be all sorts of problematic. I also can't imagine that restaurants really want to get into a battle over the bill with "those" parents who always deny their precious little ones ever do anything wrong.

Would it be nice to be rewarded when the planets align and you all make it through dinner delightfully? Absolutely. But I'm not sure it's worth the price you'd pay for the days when your kids act more ... like kids.

Would you welcome a policy in which your restaurant bill was adjusted according to your children's behavior?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen113000
by Jenna on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I wonder if they charge more if your kids were not well behaved. I would love the discount though lol

Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM
3 moms liked this
The discount is fine. A fine for misbehaved children would be upsetting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I don't agree with this.

bleumonster
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM
This is why I didnt take my kids to "nice" restaurants until they could behave themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:49 PM

ehhh the disc would be nice.... if they charged me more I would flip shit. I would want to know what their definition of "well behaved" is.

cjsbmom
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Quoting Lydlou02:

The discount is fine. A fine for misbehaved children would be upsetting.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:55 PM
My kids have rarely even as infants acted up in restaurants.... I would love the discount!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

ehhh the disc would be nice.... if they charged me more I would flip shit. I would want to know what their definition of "well behaved" is.

That is the reason why I don't agree with it. It's ok to be told your kids are good and get a discount for it, but it's not ok to be told your children are not behaved and have money added on. It's such a double standard. I think it would be more of an incentive to have the policy work both ways. If my son were to act up and get money added on to my bill, it would surely come out of my sons bank.

periwinkle163
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:37 PM

As long as they are doing it as a discount I see nothing wrong with it. I think it's sweet.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I see nothing wrong with it.  It's a discount.  Which means if you don't get the discount you just end up paying normal prices.  Normal prices is what every person should expect going in the door.  The discount is a benefit.

If a parent(s) would complain about not getting the discount, then it's just further testament to the entitled society we live in right now.

The author of this blog is also reading way too much into it.  Parents fearing judgement at every turn???  I suppose if you are a paranoid parent type.  When we go out to eat though I worry about my own family and don't care what others are thinking about me.  I focus on making sure that my kids are behaving appropriately for a restaurant, but don't give two shits about "all eyes in the joint".  Puhlease!

Julie Evans really needs to get a grip.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)