Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Distracted

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM
  • 6 Replies

My kindergartner is 5 (and a half- her b-day is in August). Is it typical for kids this age to be so distracted? Sophie got her report card home on Friday, and the teacher commented (again, she mentioned it last quarter too):  "I do continue to see Sophia needing many reminders to focus and stay on task. At times, she does require extra time to complete seatwork. I will keep you updated on this area as we progress." 
During Parent-Teacher conferences in the fall, she said that most of the other kids in the class are what she calls "head-swivelers" they are looking at this, that and the other thing, pretty much distracted by noises, the other kids, the view out the windows, whatever. But she said Sophie isn't a head-swiveler, she's distracted by herself, it's internal.
Is this common at this age, or is this a sign of something else? Sophie is so active, so busy all the time. We are constantly telling her to pay attention, she gets distracted and will literally walk into walls because she's off in her own world. She's extremely social, the teacher also commented that she's friends with everyone in class, but she said her socializing doesn't keep her from her work. I'm just not sure when and if I need to contact her doctor.
Her PreK teacher mentioned it last year, and chalked her distracted behavior to her not sleeping well. Sophie was a sleepwalker and has SERIOUSLY never slept through the night. She takes melatonin at night to fall asleep (at her doc's recommendation), or else she'd be up until midnight, even if she had been awake since 6am. Her PreK teacher said that her focus was a little better, but that Sophie was very immature for her age, so that may be a contributing factor as well. Her kindergarten teacher hasn't brought up immaturity at all.

Have you dealt with this? What can I do to help her focus? Should I be concerned?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
stephiebugg
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:02 AM

BUMP!

carakitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I think I'd give it some time to see what develops. Keep your eye on it and continue to communicate well with her teachers. My DD (and I) are highly distracted too. I got diagnosed with ADD but not until I was in high school. I really started having trouble in 3rd grade from what I remember. My DD is in 3rd grade now and we are in the process of getting her evaluated by a child psych. She is doing OK in school and social scenarios but there are still issues present. We held off until this year in hopes that she would 'grow out of it' and also because we didn't feel comfortable with medicating her at a younger age.

Best wishes and I hope things will improve.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I dont think it would hurt to have her evaluated and go from there.   I have a dd who is high energy and always moving.  She is in the 1st grade this year and she was evaluated last year due to a few things including the constant moving and easily distraction.  What i do at home to hold her attention is have her stand right by me, look me in the eyes so i know her attention is right there and tell her what i need to.  Then i have her repeat it back to me.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM
This worked well for DS...the teacher placed a strip of fuzzy velcro under his desk and when he felt the need to self stimulate or soothe, he would rub the velcro. No one knew it was there and it helped him focus. It's worth a try.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stephiebugg
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Thanks ladies!

soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Sounds like my 7 year old.  Started in kinder and now in first.  Found he's ADD.  We put him in meds and they are working wonderfully!

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN