Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Release

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM
  • 29 Replies
Ive had problems with my sons school since day 1. The teacher doesnt care that my child is being bullied. She is singleing (sp?) my son out. She is making him hate school. He is 6 years old. The friday before martin luther king whatever day she showed the class a video of HOW martin luther king jr died. Ds (his words) came home talking about a video of the guy we have off monday for got shot in the head in the garden.

I am trying to get the school board to release my children from their school system so I can let them go to a charter school. Any ideas?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Why do they have to be released?  Why not just transfer them into the other school?  Singling out a child is never fair.   I think the way he put it is how a 6 yr old could understand what happened.   DD is in 1st grade and they read scholastic news about MLK not a video.

mrsledford09
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM
The teacher was a 5th grade teacher last year. She showed them a video. It was confirmed that it was a video. I talked to the principal about it and the only thing she did was have a faculty meeting.

I am not in the district for the charter school so i have to somehow get school board to release them so they can go, if not Im pulling them out and homeschooling. I cant stand this anymore.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Why do they have to be released?  Why not just transfer them into the other school?  Singling out a child is never fair.   I think the way he put it is how a 6 yr old could understand what happened.   DD is in 1st grade and they read scholastic news about MLK not a video.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM

If i felt that strongly, I would do the homeschool option until the other school district accepted my children for their charter school.  Yeah that teacher didnt use her common sense when using video as a teaching tool.   I didnt doubt she did it.  I just stated what our teacher did to discuss the history of the day.

Quoting mrsledford09:

The teacher was a 5th grade teacher last year. She showed them a video. It was confirmed that it was a video. I talked to the principal about it and the only thing she did was have a faculty meeting.

I am not in the district for the charter school so i have to somehow get school board to release them so they can go, if not Im pulling them out and homeschooling. I cant stand this anymore.

Quoting frndlyfn:

mrsledford09
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM
I just dont know where to start with the homeschooling.

Quoting frndlyfn:

If i felt that strongly, I would do the homeschool option until the other school district accepted my children for their charter school.  Yeah that teacher didnt use her common sense when using video as a teaching tool.   I didnt doubt she did it.  I just stated what our teacher did to discuss the history of the day.

Quoting mrsledford09:

Quoting frndlyfn:

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Have you even spoke to her?  Had a parent-teacher meeting about your concerns?

mrsledford09
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:50 AM
The tree was getting long lol. I apologize if it seemed like i was attacking. I really wasnt. I fought with the principal about it. I just dont understand why. It seems like the teachers are just there for a paycheck.

Quoting frndlyfn:

mrsledford09
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:51 AM
I have and she just blew me off like i dont matter.

Quoting M4LG5:

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:54 AM

No worries.  I know each school has their own policies and then when teachers "downgrade"to the younger students they dont remember to adapt their teaching tools.   We are lucky that we have an open communication with dd's teacher.  This is her 3rd year teaching so she is still "fresh" .  Sometimes the older teachers get tired or too complacent at work and forget about the students they are in charge of.

Quoting mrsledford09:

The tree was getting long lol. I apologize if it seemed like i was attacking. I really wasnt. I fought with the principal about it. I just dont understand why. It seems like the teachers are just there for a paycheck.

Quoting frndlyfn:

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Can you tell me in what capacity?  I just feel parents, in general, just let go to easily.  Did you have a scheduled meeting after or before school?  What did you bring up?  What were her responses?  If it was just an email or an unscheduled meeting vs a scheduled meeting, it makes a big difference.

If you are not feeling like you are getting a good response or come out with a plan, bring in the principal at the same time.  I think that a parent-teacher meeting should not be just about complaining about something but also a plan between you and the teacher to fix it.

Quoting mrsledford09:

Quoting M4LG5:

mrsledford09
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM
We had a scheduled meeting. She has been writing him up every day for something. We talked about the video, trying to move him to a different table, the amount of homework, the bullying going on in the class, and the accelerated reading requirements.

Quoting M4LG5:

Can you tell me in what capacity?  I just feel parents, in general, just let go to easily.  Did you have a scheduled meeting after or before school?  What did you bring up?  What were her responses?  If it was just an email or an unscheduled meeting vs a scheduled meeting, it makes a big difference.

If you are not feeling like you are getting a good response or come out with a plan, bring in the principal at the same time.  I think that a parent-teacher meeting should not be just about complaining about something but also a plan between you and the teacher to fix it.

Quoting mrsledford09:

Quoting M4LG5:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)