Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

After School Care *EDIT*

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:02 PM
  • 42 Replies

Where do your kids go after school? I just got offered a new job (YAY!!!) but I need to arrange some sort of after school care for them. I have 3/4 possibilities right now. After School Care at school, Y Care or talk to my mom & next door neighbor and have them switch days when I need a sitter. I can work til 8pm and dh anywhere from 315p-715p so I'm more or less leaning towards mom/neighbor just to make sure that my kids will be picked up at a decent time to have supper & actually be home for some of the night. School is out in 3 months & after that I will need to find a permanent summer sitter. How do you ladies figure out child care arrangements?

Thank you all for your suggestions. I tried to read them all. I ended up calling my mom and talking to my neighbor & I changed my hours at work. I will go in from 10a-3p. My mom will get dd2 on the bus at 10:30 & neighbor will get them off & then I'll be home in 10 minutes. Plus this way now dh doesn't have to find a ride home since we only have 1 car. Thank you all for your help.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Mine come home b/c I'm a sahm, but a lot of kids around here go to the local Boys & Girls Club. The Club has a bus that goes to the school to pick the kids up. Not sure if there is a set time they have to be picked up by or not. I'm pretty sure the in-school before and after care has a set time to pick up by, but I don't know what it is.

mmeredith
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Yea I've visited the boys & girls club here before to pick up my nieces and that place scares me. All the kids were in 1 room & so loud & unorganized. My girls (5&6) would be overwhelmed in a place like that. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Quoting wakymom:

Mine come home b/c I'm a sahm, but a lot of kids around here go to the local Boys & Girls Club. The Club has a bus that goes to the school to pick the kids up. Not sure if there is a set time they have to be picked up by or not. I'm pretty sure the in-school before and after care has a set time to pick up by, but I don't know what it is.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Our afterschool care closes at 6pm so that would not be a viable option for you.   I would look for a non family member to watch them since any family fights or arguments could affect the child care availability.   When i finally find a job, my guy will be at home so we dont need additional childcare.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM

my girls go to the afterschool care at school.  I love them.  They are really great with the kids.  They are mostly college age students with older staff members.  I like their flexibility of hours per month.  If i know that we are not going to use them as much the following month, we can change it ahead of time so we don't pay as much.  Also, my husband is a teacher....this way, we don't have to commit to summer since he is off. 

My work hours end no later than 4:30 (unless I have an event in which my husband picks up the kids on those days).

iansusie
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:13 PM

After School care at school would not work with your schedule. Kids need to be picked up by 5:30. I would try a SAHM, that wants to make some extra money watching the girls from school lets out to 8pm. Even if you husband can pick up earlier. It also depends on how much you can afford to pay.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM
They go to camp in the summer. Right now I don't need after school care but DS went to the after school program at the school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Around here, the after school programs only run until 6:00, so I would honestly go with grandma and/or neighbor in your situation since you can't guarantee that they'd be picked up by 6:00.

MJP76
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Mine come home, I'm a SAHM

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

If you cannot find someone to watch them everyday.....what about going with the afterschool care and having a grandparent be an on-call just in case you will work later to pick them up at the after-school program.  This is what happens with my husband and I for those rare moments that we are both working late or have other plans.

calsmom62
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:43 PM
You have some tough hours. If you could make sure one .if you could get to aftercare by six it would be easier. Would your mom be ok getting them sometime after school from aftercare?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN