Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Our school considering changing school calendar (start date, end date)

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:38 PM
  • 66 Replies

Background - In Minnesota, there is a mandate stating that schools cannot start the 1st day of school until after Labor Day.  However, individual districts can petition for exemption from this rule.

Well, my local public school district apparently has made this change for the 13/14 school year.  Their 1st day will be Aug 26, 2013 and the last day of school will be May 29, 2014.  My kids attend a private Catholic school.  HIstorically, the private school follows what the public school district does as far as the calendar is concerned.  So, my kids school is considering adopting this same change in the start and end dates.  They are having a meeting about it next Monday.

I'm not sure how I feel about the potential change.  It's been a long standing tradition in MN with two important points.  Our State Fair generally runs during the last week right up to Labor Day.  If kids started school before Labor Day, that limits when families could attend the State Fair.  Also, many, many families have cabins up north and Labor Day is one of the big weekends to go up north to the cabin.  With school starting after Labor Day, families can head up easily the Thurs/Fri before Labor Day.  However, if kids are in school they can't do that - not without an unexcused absense.

To that end, if they moved the dates up a couple weeks so that school let out before Memorial Day then I would feel better about it.  It would basically just be trading Memorial Day for Labor Day.  However, the calendar adopted by our district has then starting before Labor Day but still getting out after Memorial Day.  Kind of feels like we're getting the shaft.

So, for those of you who start school in August how does it work out for your family?  Do you get out before Memorial Day?  Does it make that much difference to your family's summer plans?

For more detail regarding the change some school districts are making in MN, go to this article:  http://www.startribune.com/local/187687331.html?refer=y

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM

My kids started on August 6th this past year ( modified year round schedule in GA) and they get out May 31st. We have no problems at all...they had Labor Day off, then a break the last week of September, a week at Thanksgiving, 2 weeks at Christmas, MLK day, they have Feb 18-22 off for winter break, March 29-April 7 for spring break, and out on May 31st. 

Schools haven't started after LD here in about 20+ years so it has never been an issue for us. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Dd's school starts at the end of August and gets out on May 31st but they still get 3 day weekends off for Labor Day and Memorial Day so it's fine for us. 

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Ours start the 2nd or 3rd week of August....just depends on the year....and ends the last week of May.  They recently changed the state fair from the middle of August to July so more families can attend.

My husband is a teacher so it doesn't really change anything for us becuase we are still in softball and can't really do anything until after mid-June.  Well, this year it may be different because my oldest is that age of all-stars so if she makes it, we'll be committed until July.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:51 PM

We've always started in Aug and usually gotten out after Memorial Day (although not that long after). Our state fair usually overlaps a bit, but it doesn't seem to affect attendance- it just tends to be down a bit on weekdays and goes way up on the weekends. Labor Day isn't an issue- most people just leave right after school on Fri and come home on Mon. Same w/ Memorial Day. It does not affect our summer plans at all.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Our kids start around Aug 22 and go until usually around June 8th with 5 snow/emergency days built in. If we don't have snow days, then they get out June 3.

It doesn't make a difference for our summer plans. We don't usually go anywhere before the 15th of June anyway.

BaBeezandMe
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:54 PM

We live in Phila and my kids start after labor day and go until mid to late June!!  I'm gonna say that our school district will NEVER change it!

It's the most wonderful time of the year ya know!  HAHA

periwinkle163
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM

We usually start the third week in august and go until either the last week in May or the first week of June, we've never had any problems, because they get both days off of school anyways.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM

That is the schedule that our school runs on and I honestly don't have a problem with is.  As far as the state fair goes, we've never been to one and it has nothing to do with the school schedule.  I couldn't imagine driving 4-5 hours just to go to a fair.

kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:01 PM
We have always started around mid aug and got out usually week before memorial day if we dont have to make up snow days. We dont know any different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iansusie
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:05 PM

doesn't make a difference to us. We start around August 16th and get out end of May. I wish it would start later because it be nice not to be rushed to fly back the day after my Grandma's birthday. I just hope they never move it any earlier!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)