Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What age did your kids start asking for name brand clothes?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:14 PM
  • 73 Replies

My DD is 8, will be 9 this summer. This weekend we were at Gander Mountain. There isn't one close to us, we were in a smaller city an hour away. Anyway as we were looking around she mentioned how she wanted some Columbia and North Face clothes. This is the first time she has asked for name brand things(other than Twinkle Toes a couple years ago at age 6) When I asked why, it was because other girls are wearing these brands.  

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Dd has asked for Twinkle Toes, and when he was younger ds1 asked for Heelies. Other than those 2 times, none of them have asked for name brands.

mama.samm.2.3
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM
My oldest two are 5yrs old (identical twins) Lennon asked for Twinkle toes this last fall. And Taytum asked for Pumas. They have both been wearing Puma stuff since they were babies just because I'm a Puma addict lol. But other than that they don't really ask for brand name things. I think they are still a tad too young to totally understand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:52 PM

DD was 5 when she asked for Twinkle Toes, and then Bella Ballerinas.  She doesn't ask for name brand clothes yet, but does like the style of certain clothes and will ask for them or say not to something becuase it looks to babyish.  And she likes Justice, but not so much because of the brand name but all the crap inside.

gsae
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:30 PM
3 moms liked this

My girls wouldn't know the difference lol we live in a little country town so all I hear is momma I need some cowgirl boots haha

Peachy34500
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM
My DD asked for twinkle toes last yr and she loves Justice clothes.. she is 6
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bleumonster
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:50 PM
My daughter asked for name brand shoes at 8 but she was slower to ask for name brand clothes. She was 10. My son is 11 and still doesn't care except about his basketball shoes LOL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I was wondering the same thing actually.  Caden is 5 and hasn't asked for anyhting brand name.  He does ask for general stuff like "light up shoes" and "sonic shirt" though,.

LucyHarper
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:11 PM

They don't. We buy our kids practical clothes for a practical price. My 13 year old sister (I'm her guardian) has a sweatshirt that is literally the same exact jacket as a northface fleece jacket that cost $15. The ones that northface sells are $100. Our rule is that if they want something that is the same thing but costs more because of the brand name, they buy it on their own with their own money. I'm pretty sure that the only name brand piece of clothing that they have that cost more then $15 is my 17 year old brother has a pair of Nike sneakers that he bought on his own because they were on sale and were super cheap because of a slight defect. My five year old son does know brand names and my ten year old brother couldn't care less what hes wearing.

MaddieLainesMom
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:07 PM

My DD doesn't necessarily ask for name brand clothes, but knows ths styles of clothes she likes. We get a lot of her stuff at boutiques around our town and online places so she'll ask if she can get a new Whimsy Wear or Lolly Wolly Doodle dress since she knows that's where we shop. She knows where the clothes she likes come from. She has always been picky about clothes though. She likes to wear dresses pretty much exclusively. At 3 or 4 I found a stockpile of pants she had hidden in her closet so she could just wear dresses. She also HAS to have a hair accessory to go with every outfit! Haha.

raven1114
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:09 AM

My kids aren't snobs and have enough sense to know what a budget is and that unless we happen on an extremely good sale name brand clothes are not in the budget.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN