Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Would you let your child eat candy they received from school.......

Posted by   + Show Post

I was thinking about a cute valentine to give my daughters 1 st grade class but it would require me to handle the candy. Like it wouldn't be individually wrapped. I was going to put some gummy bears in a ziplock bag and attach a cute bag topper on it. But just wondering if parents would be ok with that since it wasn't wrapped candy and knowing that someone had touched it???????

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
TroyboysMom
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:26 PM

That would not be allowed at DS' school due to allergy issues (there are some pretty severe allergies) - it's also against the district policy. If it was allowed, probably not. Not because I have something against you personally, but unless I knew the parent very, very well, I would have no idea where the candy came from.

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Yes I have never told him he couldn't have candy that he has received from school.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I don't have an issue with it. It's not against my son's school rules, but some schools do have rules requiring pre-packaged food.

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I would buy individual bags so that you're not touching food. I would probably throw out candy bagged like that. Parents who may have a child with food allergies (luckily I don't have to deal with it) would have to worry about whether or not the candy came in contact with said food allergy

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I don't think I'd have a problem with it personally.  However, you just don't see that at my kid's school.  They have a rule about no homemade treats and therefore everything seems to be store bought and pre-packaged.

So ask the teacher if it's against any rules and what they think about how the other parents would feel.  Your dd's teacher would be the best gauge of the situation.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM

It would't bother me in the least.  

smushy79
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I would not let my child eat it.

jgates1111
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Sorry but I wouldnt let my son eat it. He has severe food allergies and its just not worth the risk. He was in daycare and some parents did that but I brought him his own treat to share that i knew he would be safe eating.

Emeraldmama7
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I would be fine.  I used to be a little weary of it...that is until I had my son.  He would pick up food found on the floor (and I mean stuff that wasn't his or in our home!) and eat it.  He's now 7 and healthy...so yeah, I've learned to take a chill pill on that kind of stuff.  LOL

Jessa, mama to:

Alyssa(11), Autumn(10), Mariah(9), Matthew(9), Blake(7), Laila(3), and Athena born 9/14!!!

jen113000
by Jenna on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Always good to ask to be sure. But I would allow it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN