Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Getting Really Fed Up!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:07 AM
  • 91 Replies
2 moms liked this

So, SS hasn't been to school in over a week now.  He lived with us at the beginning of the school year and we had him in an amazing school and we absolutely loved his teacher... Well our court order required SS to miss 4 days of school a montho, for visitations with his bm... So, we had been fighting the truancy officer for a while.

In Dec. the judge ruled that BM would get primary physical custody and we turned SS over on Dec. 26th.  Well, on Jan. 30th BM called and told us that she was turning primary custody back over to DH and we needed to come get him.  On the 31st I went to enroll him back into his old school (I have PoA so I can do this kind of thing) and because we moved less than a mile the school won't take him back saying that he's in a different district... We're about to move out of the suburbs completely and into the city (hopefully today or tomorrow) but the school he was in was so good that we were willing to drive him there every day (our state has an open district policy).  Well the district that we've been living in won't accept him into school there either because we're going to be moving out of district very soon...

Apparently, because SS has had "attendence issues" (due to the court order) he isn't allowed to attend school out of district, and I can't enroll him in the district we're going to be in because I don't have the lease yet...

Seriously, not cool. He needs to be in school.  And with as much change as SS has had to deal with recently it would've been best for him if he could've gone back to the same school and had the same teacher, the administration should've been more understanding of the whole situation.  I'm just really irritated... Sorry for the vent.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
teri4lance
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:09 AM
3 moms liked this
If you are homeless they have to accept him. Go in that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:12 AM
3 moms liked this

I'm confused as to why he has to miss 4 days of school a month for his BM's visitation. Is that still in effect now that you have custody again?

Tryshx
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:17 AM

We're not homeless, we're staying with family until our house is ready and the house we're staying in is like 2 streets away from the district line to the school he used to go to, and because he'd missed so much school first semester they wouldn't take him back out of district.  The school that's in our current district basically told us just to wait until we get into our house and enroll him in that district...

Quoting teri4lance:

Tryshx
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:23 AM

He had to miss 4 days a month because the judge was a moron and said the weekends started on thursdays every other week, and BM lives 3 hours away. 

No, since she voluntarily gave custody back they're working outside the court order and he's going for a visit presidents day weekend from friday night til monday, and we are going to work out the rest of the visits as we go.  BM said that she was occassionally willing to come here to visit him to make things easier on everyone.  And we made it a stipulation when she signed custody back that he wouldn't be required to miss anymore school for visits (our state has a compulsory attendence law and the original CO could've actually landed DH in jail for a few nights for educational neglect even though we were following a judges orders)

Quoting wakymom:

I'm confused as to why he has to miss 4 days of school a month for his BM's visitation. Is that still in effect now that you have custody again?

story0702
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:06 AM
4 moms liked this
You could go to a school board meeting . The school board usually has the power to make those decisions . Explain that the attendance issue has been resolved and why you feel so strongly that this is the best place for SS
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
story0702
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Also if you haven't talked to the super intendent try there too
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bleumonster
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:36 AM
6 moms liked this
Umm I'm sorry but a court order trumps school policy and they shouldn't have been allowed to count him absent. I would have fought that one. As for now, if you have an open district policy then why won't they take him? I would go to the school board. Also if you are living with family or friends you can technically count that as homeless.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

that's true..it's federal law now isn't it?

Quoting teri4lance:

cjsbmom
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:47 AM
5 moms liked this

That is unacceptable. Call your state department of education and report this idiocy. They cannot deny him entrance into a public school unless he has discipline issues and has been expelled. Explain the situation and ask them to intervene on your behalf.

Quoting Tryshx:

We're not homeless, we're staying with family until our house is ready and the house we're staying in is like 2 streets away from the district line to the school he used to go to, and because he'd missed so much school first semester they wouldn't take him back out of district.  The school that's in our current district basically told us just to wait until we get into our house and enroll him in that district...

Quoting teri4lance:

teri4lance
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:47 AM
5 moms liked this
You are technically homeless. You cant produce a gas bill or a lease, right? They have to enroll him somewhere. They can't let him not attend school.

Quoting Tryshx:

Quoting teri4lance:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN