Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

And the tooth FINALLY came out but she was asking for too much

Posted by   + Show Post

I have 6 1/2 year old twins.  Just like their older sister, they were getting bummed that they are the last ones to lose their first tooth.  My oldest was about 6 1/2 as well.  My twins have been asking if it's loose and I'll check it but it hasn't been loose enough.  One of them started playing with it a little more and got even looser.  Well, i guess it FINALLY came out yesterday at school.  She was very excited to tell me.  She then said, "I can't wait to get $20."  Umm...what???  Apparently, that is what one of her classmates got.

Now, I know it's a parenting decision but, in my opinion, $20 for a tooth is way too much and crazy.  Sorry, we are not going there.  I told her that I sent information to the tooth fairies' (because there is more than one) office saying that for our family we only give $2 for the first tooth and $1 after that. 

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Replies (21-30):
smushy79
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM

When I was a like I got a couple of quarters, lol. I usually give $3-$5 per tooth.

MrsApple
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM

That's what we did.My daughter (6) thought she was RICH getting the $5 :) Spent 2 hours deciding how she'd spend it,lol.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

We did $5 for the first and $1 for the rest.

jen113000
by Jenna on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:30 PM
What?! 20 bucks?! That's crazy IMO.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Wow $20 for a tooth. We usually gave my son $3.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Quoting Emeraldmama7:

Wow!  $20???  My eldest lost her first tooth at my ex's house and he gave her $10!  I was livid!  I have 7 kids all together and I just can't afford that!  LOL  When she lost her second tooth it was at my house and we gave her $3.  She was confused on the difference so (and I feel so bad for this, but what else can ya do?) we convinced her that she was mistaken on the amount she *thought* she got for the first tooth.  That she got $5 for the first tooth and the other $5 had come from her dad (he agreed to this).  And every tooth after that only gets $3.  That has worked so far for us.  We've now had 5 children lose teeth...and often we have children who lose them within days of each other. 

My kids go through this too with the Easter Bunny.  They have  a few friends whose families are better off financially than us and get bikes and ipods for easter.  My kids get bubbles, jump ropes, chalk, candy, etc.  That was a hard one to explain!

There are some families that WE are financially better off than them but we still give jump ropes and chalk and stuff like that and they buy the crazy, overpriced toys.  This whole "i want to give them better than what I had" is crap.  I told my kids that I make the rules with Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy about how much to give because we are not selfish people and do not need that much stuff or money and we want them to give more to kids that don't have anything (which is why we donate toys and clothes when we can).

luvmymunchkins3
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:50 PM

you gave dd who is 5 a big amount for her first tooth but i also didnt have any other cash or anything in my house and my husband was out of town and i was dragging the kids out at 9pm to get money.and i think what you did was a good idea.im going to try nd find other things to give dd for when her teeth come out she gets enough money she doesnt really need more

Emeraldmama7
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting Emeraldmama7:

Wow!  $20???  My eldest lost her first tooth at my ex's house and he gave her $10!  I was livid!  I have 7 kids all together and I just can't afford that!  LOL  When she lost her second tooth it was at my house and we gave her $3.  She was confused on the difference so (and I feel so bad for this, but what else can ya do?) we convinced her that she was mistaken on the amount she *thought* she got for the first tooth.  That she got $5 for the first tooth and the other $5 had come from her dad (he agreed to this).  And every tooth after that only gets $3.  That has worked so far for us.  We've now had 5 children lose teeth...and often we have children who lose them within days of each other. 

My kids go through this too with the Easter Bunny.  They have  a few friends whose families are better off financially than us and get bikes and ipods for easter.  My kids get bubbles, jump ropes, chalk, candy, etc.  That was a hard one to explain!

There are some families that WE are financially better off than them but we still give jump ropes and chalk and stuff like that and they buy the crazy, overpriced toys.  This whole "i want to give them better than what I had" is crap.  I told my kids that I make the rules with Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy about how much to give because we are not selfish people and do not need that much stuff or money and we want them to give more to kids that don't have anything (which is why we donate toys and clothes when we can).

You are so right!  I know even if we did have the luxury of splurging money on them we wouldn't. I'm tired of the kids now days that have everything handed to them and EXPECT it to be so.  What ever happened to earning stuff?  My kids will not have things handed to them on a silver platter no matter what our financial situation.  We aren't poor, but we do have quite a few kids and that makes for a hefty bill even when we get them the little things.  I do like your explanation on why other children get different amounts for xmas, easter, etc.  I wish I would have thought of that a few years back!

anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM
It's amazing how much we have to come up with on the fly!!

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Haha! That's great!

Once I forgot too and DS complained about not getting money so while he was brushing his teeth, I threw a dollar under his bed and said he must've knocked it off the bed in his sleep.

Quoting anotherandree:

This is what we did too!

Once we completely forgot and just went to bed so we told the kids that we were supposed to email the tooth fairy and let her know she had a pick up but the Internet crashed so she never got the email. They bought it and I gave my husband credit for coming up with that on the spot while being half asleep!

Quoting coolmommy2x:

We did $5 for the first and $1 for the rest.
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Emeraldmama7:

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting Emeraldmama7:

You are so right!  I know even if we did have the luxury of splurging money on them we wouldn't. I'm tired of the kids now days that have everything handed to them and EXPECT it to be so.  What ever happened to earning stuff?  My kids will not have things handed to them on a silver platter no matter what our financial situation.  We aren't poor, but we do have quite a few kids and that makes for a hefty bill even when we get them the little things.  I do like your explanation on why other children get different amounts for xmas, easter, etc.  I wish I would have thought of that a few years back!

Honestly, I don't think I would make a very good rich person.  I have "poor man's syndrome" in that I'm always thinking of the cheapest way to get things or save money.  I'd probably still buy my furniture at discount stores and IKEA.

SwtSnowflake2
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:14 PM
We do a dollar for the first and .50 for the rest.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)