Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Help?! Off topic..

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM
  • 12 Replies
Hey everyone. I am helping to throw a bridal shower for one of my best friends. One suggested a Tea Party theme for it. So my reason for this post.

Does anyone have any suggestions to foods that would be good to serve with this theme? The shower is from noon till 2pm. Thanks for your help!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Small finger sandwiches

you can google or pinterest a ton of different tea party shower ideas.

ElyseFowler
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Small finger sandwiches peti fours cute cheeses and meats and breads
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Find a teahouse and see what their menu is. Www.thetalkingteacup.com is near my house, I've been there a couple of times. The Four Seasons has high tea (at least the one in Philadelphia does), you can probably get the menu from their site or just Google high tem menu.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I go to tea a lot with my mom.

First course: finger sandwiches are really common, especially the cucumber and cream cheese sandwich.

Second course: scones with lemon custard and Devonshire cream. (Trader Joe's has a really good lemon curd.)

Third course: then some small desserts. Doing mini brownies and serving them in cup cake wrappers might work well.

Another suggestion is to use fresh fruit as a garnish for the 3 different courses.

Sometimes soup will be served as the first course, and then the second course will be the finger sandwiches and scones.

jen113000
by Jenna on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM
The bride isn't fond of cucumber sandwiches. Is lunch meat or tuna salad an okay thing for tea parties? Thank you for your suggestions!

Quoting Barabell:

First course: finger sandwiches are really common, especially the cucumber and cream cheese sandwich.

Second course: scones with lemon custard and Devonshire cream. (Trader Joe's has a really good lemon curd.)

Third course: then some small desserts. Doing mini brownies and serving them in cup cake wrappers might work well.

Another suggestion is to use fresh fruit as a garnish for the 3 different courses.

Sometimes soup will be served as the first course, and then the second course will be the finger sandwiches and scones.

jen113000
by Jenna on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:52 PM
I will check that out! Thanks!

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Find a teahouse and see what their menu is. Www.thetalkingteacup.com is near my house, I've been there a couple of times. The Four Seasons has high tea (at least the one in Philadelphia does), you can probably get the menu from their site or just Google high tem menu.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

We had a tea party themed bridal shower for my SIL and it was a blast.  Our menu was similar to what Barabell suggested, we even used tuna, chicken, and ham salad on the finger sandwiches.

We asked everyone to dress like they were going to a fancy tea, meaning hats, gloves, and pearls.  Most of us girls have boys, so it was fun for us to play dress up for the afternoon.

We purchased a bunch of different flavored tea bags for the occasion.  We all own tea pots, and placed those on the table filled with hot water.  We also used real china, crystal, and silverware that we all had from our bridal showers.  Each table used a different place setting pattern.  It was a great excuse to pull out the fancy stuff that we rarely get to use.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Yes, definitely. The rolled sandwiches (I've seen them before at Sam's Club) are very acceptable too. I've also seen cocktail shrimp served during the first course.

Quoting jen113000:

The bride isn't fond of cucumber sandwiches. Is lunch meat or tuna salad an okay thing for tea parties? Thank you for your suggestions!

Quoting Barabell:

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

To add, normally the tuna salad or chicken salad would be open faced and on marbled rye or wheat cut smaller or a mini roll. I've never seen white bread used for the mini sandwiches, but I guess it could be done.

Making the rolled sandwiches with tortillas might make the job easier because you would cut them up, and they make a pretty little swirl when you lay the small cut piece sideways.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

That is exactly how we did it and I've never seen white bread used either.  Always fancier breads cut into small circles, or triangles.

Quoting Barabell:

To add, normally the tuna salad or chicken salad would be open faced and on marbled rye or wheat cut smaller or a mini roll. I've never seen white bread used for the mini sandwiches, but I guess it could be done.

Making the rolled sandwiches with tortillas might make the job easier because you would cut them up, and they make a pretty little swirl when you lay the small cut piece sideways.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN