Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School lunch gripe - Asperger's Child

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:05 PM
  • 109 Replies

Ok, I have a huge gripe!!!  We are in Michigan, and we have had a few snow days.  We get a monthly schedule of the lunches, and without any notice, the school changed the menu a few times.  

When you have an ASD child, you have to prep them for many things during the day.  And a lunch that they dont like can cause a HUGE meltdown.  Luckily, his teacher called me last week, and I was able to run a cold lunch to him.  I thought of the others that arent so lucky.  

So my question is, am I being silly to be cranky on their deviation from the printed lunch schedule?  There are very few things my son will eat, and we have a peanut allergy, so school provided PB&J is NOT an option.  

And since I am one to offer suggestions to help solve a problem, any ideas on how I could approach this?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM
13 moms liked this

I would send my child's lunch if it was that big of an issue. 

There are so many issues that can come up causing changes in the lunches. They might not even know until that day. There's no way for them to notify everyone. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM
My son's school provides PB&J even though there are peanut allergies. They have a peanut table, and the cafeteria workers are given pictures of they kids with allergies in addition to a list of the food allerg(ies). So I'm not sure why PB&J can't still be an option. His school also has the option of turkey sandwiches and a salad bar in case the kid doesn't want the hot lunch choice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by Cruella on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM
3 moms liked this
Yes, you are being unrealistic. My son has autism and I understand the issue. I would just pack him a lunch everyday to avoid the meltdown.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM
3 moms liked this
It was nice that the teacher called you.
Susan0805
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Our school prints a menu 1 month at a time and they stick to it! I like that about them.
calsmom62
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:24 PM
This. Stuff happens. The commisary order doesn't arrive in time, the fruit sauce was on backorder. If lunch variation is really disruptive for your child, pack his lunch each day. The year our school got the robot caller system, the new principal would use to announce things like. "Instead of pizza on Thursday, we will be having fish sticks. ". She quit that pretty quick

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I would send my child's lunch if it was that big of an issue. 

There are so many issues that can come up causing changes in the lunches. They might not even know until that day. There's no way for them to notify everyone. 

LilyFlair
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM
3 moms liked this

I think if your child has issues like that it's your responsibility. Pack his lunch and there will be no problem. It was very nice of the teacher to do that though. But in reality its not really the school responsibility. I hope that didn't come off snarky.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I'd be sending lunch every day if an unexpected change in a menu will cause issues.

If you want some other option besides pb&j, you could suggest they offer grilled cheese as well- our school offers both of those as well as chef salad and bagel w/ yogurt.

A_McCool
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I would say just pack him a lunch every day.  I packed the exact same lunch every day from kindergarten through the 9th grade.  Then I switched what I ate on a yearly basis (I ate the same thing every day in 10th...switched to something different that I ate every day in 11th...switched again for 12th).

Cassidysmom611
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I understand where you are coming from. However, my DD who is autistic too will be getting her lunch packed every day to avoid things such as this.

wouldn't bring it up. That was kind and above and beyond the teachers duties. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)