Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

question

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM
  • 6 Replies
What is PoA?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
RiotPixie
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Power of attorney
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:31 PM

That's what I was going to say as well.

Quoting RiotPixie:

Power of attorney

Tryshx
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Power of Attorney, it basically gives another person the right to speak and act on your behalf (or as though they are you)... Standard PoA's are generally for real estate and finances, but you can have a PoA drafted for just about anything.  I have DH's PoA and it only gives me the right to stand and speak for him in any type of courtroom (he has to be there too, but I can speak as though I am him [I'm more articulate and can express myself better]), it allows me to care for him and any minor child in his care (so I can take SS to the doctor or sign any legal paperwork regarding him if DH is unavailable, basically gives me the rights of a legal gaurdian), and I can talk to and deal with any type of government agency on his behalf (like child support, or the IRS for example).  That is all the power our specific PoA grants me, but they can contain so much more.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I have medical power of attorney for my parents if anything happens to them at the same time. Just means I have the legal right to make medical decisions for them if they are incapacitated and can't do so for themselves.

When dh's father was in end-stage cancer, dh had financial power of attorney so he could make sure all bills were getting paid.

puppylove4
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Thank you all. One more quick question if I get poa over my stepdaughters will that cancel out child support? Not trying to sound greedy but because of what the children's biological mother put them through they are now in counseling and on medication. So I want her to pay for what she did to the my beautiful little girls.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:22 PM

A power of attorney and child support are totally seperate issues, one does not have any impact on the other.  Your husband would have to petition the courts to have child support changed or discontinued.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)