Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Okay mommies, i need your secrets!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM
  • 26 Replies

my son is in 4k and my daughter is in 1st grade. they have been out of school a total of 16 days this year due to sickness. stomach bugs, the flu, kidney infection, UTI, Upper respiratory infection, etc. My house is very clean. i constantly use lysol and germ X. They are on vitamins with immune support. what more can i do? its affecting my daughters grades tremendously. They both take singulair, claritin, and flonase every day to combat allergies. im at my wits end. PLEASE GIVE ME TIPS IF YOU KNOW OF ANY.

Love says, i sacrifice myself for the other person.

Abortion says, i sacrifice the other person for myself.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Have you talked to their ped? It just seems to me that there might be more going on. That is an awful lot of illnesses to be having for little kids.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TwinMomma122304
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I have boy/girl twins, and when they started pre-K together, my son got sick CONSTANTLY, my daughter never did.  He missed a lot of school too (especially thanks to the 24 hour fever free rule).  Finally, halfway through Kindergarten, I took him to an ENT and he had his tonsils/adenoids out and he has not had a single infection since (they're in 2nd grade this year). 

It sounds like they maybe see an allergist, but have they seen an ENT?  Sometimes there is something underlying.  Good luck!

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM
3 moms liked this

Have you talked to their doctor?  Either, there is a lot of stuff going around at school, etc, or there is something else underlying with your kids going on.  Your doctor would be the best source for both of those.  Maybe a bit of both.  Stomach bug, flu, respiratory infection - those could just be going around at school a lot and your kids could just be unlucky about catching it every single time.  Kidney infection, UTI - those aren't the types of things that "go around" and if those are happening more than once I would definitely be talking to the doctor.

As for tips and tricks around the house, you probably wouldn't like my opinion.  I would say constantly using lysol and germ-x is the problem.  I don't use hand sanitizers at all and avoid anti-bacterial anything on a regular basis.  Those things not only kill off the bad bacteria but also the good bacteria on our skin.  The good bacteria is our natural defense against the bad bacteria.  If you are constantly wiping out that natural defense, then the body is left defenseless.  Plain ol' soap and water is fine for everyday use.  Let the body do what's it's designed to do beyond that.

Of course, that's just my opinion.  You will find strong opinions on both sides of that debate.  Take it or leave it.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:54 AM
I agree with you.

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Have you talked to their doctor?  Either, there is a lot of stuff going around at school, etc, or there is something else underlying with your kids going on.  Your doctor would be the best source for both of those.  Maybe a bit of both.  Stomach bug, flu, respiratory infection - those could just be going around at school a lot and your kids could just be unlucky about catching it every single time.  Kidney infection, UTI - those aren't the types of things that "go around" and if those are happening more than once I would definitely be talking to the doctor.

As for tips and tricks around the house, you probably wouldn't like my opinion.  I would say constantly using lysol and germ-x is the problem.  I don't use hand sanitizers at all and avoid anti-bacterial anything on a regular basis.  Those things not only kill off the bad bacteria but also the good bacteria on our skin.  The good bacteria is our natural defense against the bad bacteria.  If you are constantly wiping out that natural defense, then the body is left defenseless.  Plain ol' soap and water is fine for everyday use.  Let the body do what's it's designed to do beyond that.

Of course, that's just my opinion.  You will find strong opinions on both sides of that debate.  Take it or leave it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Here are my tips:

Teach them to keep their hands out of their noses, eyes, and mouths.

Have them wash their hands with plain old soap and water before eating, after using the restroom, and as soon as they get home from school.

Teach them to use a tissue when they sneeze, then throw the tissue in the garbage, and wash their hands.

Teach them to cough into the crook of their elbow, not their hand.  They should also sneeze in the crook of their elbow if a tissue isn't available.

Teach them to not share food/drinks with anyone.

BTW - your house can be too clean, so you may need to cut back on the antibacterial stuff.  Kids need to be exposed to germs to build their immune system and a weak immune system will cause you to catch every little virus that comes around.

emtmomtwo
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:25 AM

i take them to the dr every time they get sick. their dr just claims that so many people are sick and my kids just keep catching it. my husband works at the county jail and of course hes around about 120 prisoners at a time. I know he gets sick alot and brings it home. I also have asked teachers at the school and they keep telling me alot of kids are in the same boat. my daughter already had her tonsils/adenoids removed. 

lorial58
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Hon, I'm sorry but with so many working parents taking their children to school when their kids are sick it tends to be a never ending cycle.  And I'm not putting all the blame on working parents, I know that they have to keep working, can't afford to lose a job to take care of their sick childre too many days.

In the meantime you can try to boost your child's immune system with vitamins, a very balanced diet, lots of water and lots of hand washing.  Sorry there isn't much more you can than that.

janitablue
by Janita on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I agreed with Steel and TraciMom.  Simple soap and water will help. You can also teach your kids to sing happy birthday once or ABC doing this will remove some of germs during hand washing. There are good and bad germs and you don't want to get rid of the bad germs and also you kids needs to build a resistant to the bad germs. Antibacterial soaps and alcohol hand dispenser are good but used it when it is necessary for example eating at public restaurant. etc etc 

It sound like your kids have a weak resistant but I am not a doctor. Keep document of your children illness if you feel that it is too much set up appointment with pediatrician.

You can show your kids this video about handwashing.

emtmomtwo
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM

thank you all for your input and i will have my kids view the video when i pick them up from school today. Im just so frustrated. The teachers (especially the 1st grade teacher), give me these judgmental looks. Im honestly in fear of being classified as one of those moms that have a syndrome where they make their kids sick for attention. I would be the happiest mom in the world if we could go one whole week without another illness occuring. Im to the point of considering homeschool.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)