Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Okay mommies, i need your secrets!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

my son is in 4k and my daughter is in 1st grade. they have been out of school a total of 16 days this year due to sickness. stomach bugs, the flu, kidney infection, UTI, Upper respiratory infection, etc. My house is very clean. i constantly use lysol and germ X. They are on vitamins with immune support. what more can i do? its affecting my daughters grades tremendously. They both take singulair, claritin, and flonase every day to combat allergies. im at my wits end. PLEASE GIVE ME TIPS IF YOU KNOW OF ANY.

Love says, i sacrifice myself for the other person.

Abortion says, i sacrifice the other person for myself.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Replies (11-20):
corrinacs
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Unfortunately, its very difficult.  My son has missed quite a few days for the same darn reason.  He's been out yesterday and today due to illnesses.  They are excused.

I'd speak with the teacher.  Did you send a note each time she was sick?  This will help you gain credibility (although I doubt you need it).  Ask the teacher if she could send home makeup work and perhaps work with her after school to get her caught up.

This year has been particularly difficult with illnesses.  None of us can be well more than a few weeks at a time before some new thing comes and gets us all :(.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Give your kids probiotics. It might help their immune systems. Also, why does your ped have them on three different allergy meds at the same time? That doesn't seem right. Maybe a second opinion with a ENT is in order.

Also, this has been a very bad cold and flu season. A lot of kids are missing a lot of school all over the country.

mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Take vitamins, drink OJ or eat oranges, wash hands frequently (sing happy birthday twice before drying hands) and stay away from sick kids.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I absolutely agree with this. 

It's been my experience that the more germophobic someone is the more they actually get sick. They have no natural defenses to fight everyday germs.

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Have you talked to their doctor?  Either, there is a lot of stuff going around at school, etc, or there is something else underlying with your kids going on.  Your doctor would be the best source for both of those.  Maybe a bit of both.  Stomach bug, flu, respiratory infection - those could just be going around at school a lot and your kids could just be unlucky about catching it every single time.  Kidney infection, UTI - those aren't the types of things that "go around" and if those are happening more than once I would definitely be talking to the doctor.

As for tips and tricks around the house, you probably wouldn't like my opinion.  I would say constantly using lysol and germ-x is the problem.  I don't use hand sanitizers at all and avoid anti-bacterial anything on a regular basis.  Those things not only kill off the bad bacteria but also the good bacteria on our skin.  The good bacteria is our natural defense against the bad bacteria.  If you are constantly wiping out that natural defense, then the body is left defenseless.  Plain ol' soap and water is fine for everyday use.  Let the body do what's it's designed to do beyond that.

Of course, that's just my opinion.  You will find strong opinions on both sides of that debate.  Take it or leave it.

Cindy

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I would get rid of the Lysol and Germ X. 

Our bodies need to be exposed to germs in order to build an immunity to them. By keeping all the germs away you are keeping your children from developing any natural immunities. 

Also, kids who live in super clean houses are more prone to allergies. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Once again if I would read the previous replies I could save myself some typing!

Quoting Cindy18:

I absolutely agree with this. 

It's been my experience that the more germophobic someone is the more they actually get sick. They have no natural defenses to fight everyday germs.

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Have you talked to their doctor?  Either, there is a lot of stuff going around at school, etc, or there is something else underlying with your kids going on.  Your doctor would be the best source for both of those.  Maybe a bit of both.  Stomach bug, flu, respiratory infection - those could just be going around at school a lot and your kids could just be unlucky about catching it every single time.  Kidney infection, UTI - those aren't the types of things that "go around" and if those are happening more than once I would definitely be talking to the doctor.

As for tips and tricks around the house, you probably wouldn't like my opinion.  I would say constantly using lysol and germ-x is the problem.  I don't use hand sanitizers at all and avoid anti-bacterial anything on a regular basis.  Those things not only kill off the bad bacteria but also the good bacteria on our skin.  The good bacteria is our natural defense against the bad bacteria.  If you are constantly wiping out that natural defense, then the body is left defenseless.  Plain ol' soap and water is fine for everyday use.  Let the body do what's it's designed to do beyond that.

Of course, that's just my opinion.  You will find strong opinions on both sides of that debate.  Take it or leave it.

MJP76
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM

My son has allergies, but they don't keep him home. Your kids are getting sick way too often, and for things that are also not spread. Take your kids to the doctor.. Again.. Get a second opinion or something... Idk that's just too much sickness.

my son in ES has not been sick at all this year.

my daughter in HS has been sick once it lasted a week, but she only missed two days...

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I know another family that is in your same boat... They have 4 kids ages 3-9, and they've been sick since mid-December. Someone is always sick. It's so disheartening, but it's been a brutal cold and flu season for some families.

Hopefully the handwashing (rather than sanitizer) will help make a difference. And really, it might be worth consulting another pediatrician just to get a second opinion. Otherwise it sounds like you're already doing everything you can. Hang in there, momma! It's bound to end soon.

saysmom
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:30 PM

It seems there are alot of the same kids at my daughters school that stay sick. Do you give them probiotics?

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I am in agreement of this reply too.

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN