Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Okay mommies, i need your secrets!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

my son is in 4k and my daughter is in 1st grade. they have been out of school a total of 16 days this year due to sickness. stomach bugs, the flu, kidney infection, UTI, Upper respiratory infection, etc. My house is very clean. i constantly use lysol and germ X. They are on vitamins with immune support. what more can i do? its affecting my daughters grades tremendously. They both take singulair, claritin, and flonase every day to combat allergies. im at my wits end. PLEASE GIVE ME TIPS IF YOU KNOW OF ANY.

Love says, i sacrifice myself for the other person.

Abortion says, i sacrifice the other person for myself.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Replies (21-26):
SeelyGoose
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:06 AM

On top of the great advice already given (which I what I would say as well) I'd suggest getting a second opinion on the other serious illnesses affecting your kids. UTI/Kidney disease and such aren't typical illnesses you catch from other kids at school. 

If the doctor brushes it off to "typical school illnesses" I'd say definitely get a second opinion. 

anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I Second This!

Quoting Cindy18:

I absolutely agree with this. 

It's been my experience that the more germophobic someone is the more they actually get sick. They have no natural defenses to fight everyday germs.

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Have you talked to their doctor?  Either, there is a lot of stuff going around at school, etc, or there is something else underlying with your kids going on.  Your doctor would be the best source for both of those.  Maybe a bit of both.  Stomach bug, flu, respiratory infection - those could just be going around at school a lot and your kids could just be unlucky about catching it every single time.  Kidney infection, UTI - those aren't the types of things that "go around" and if those are happening more than once I would definitely be talking to the doctor.

As for tips and tricks around the house, you probably wouldn't like my opinion.  I would say constantly using lysol and germ-x is the problem.  I don't use hand sanitizers at all and avoid anti-bacterial anything on a regular basis.  Those things not only kill off the bad bacteria but also the good bacteria on our skin.  The good bacteria is our natural defense against the bad bacteria.  If you are constantly wiping out that natural defense, then the body is left defenseless.  Plain ol' soap and water is fine for everyday use.  Let the body do what's it's designed to do beyond that.

Of course, that's just my opinion.  You will find strong opinions on both sides of that debate.  Take it or leave it.

LACHESIS
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I wish I knew what to tell you. My son was out 2 weeks in January and now this week. Flu, a cold and now apparently a different cold with fever. Luckily, so far it hasn't affected him (he is in Kinder), but he missed out on his class photos :( and spring pics which bummed me out. 

MissyB1011
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Maybe also look at the vitamins. I went thru a period where I had to take prescription vitamin to build up my immunity instead of an over-the-counter kind.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NoahsCoolMama
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:21 AM

My son was constantly sick at those ages. K-3 through 1st Grade. He is now in 2nd Grade and it seems to be less frequent, Lord willing. I am not sure what else you can do, except be sure that they always wash their hands before they eat. Also, wash their hands when they get home from school or any public place like a store or restaurant. Do not just use hand sanitzier, but also soap and water. Soap and water is always best, but sanitizer works in a pinch. We keep it in the car at all times for that reason.

lizfnf
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:26 AM

My daughter has gone through every illness this winter as well.  She's in kindergarten.  Everyone that I have spoken to says that all this illness is pretty much the norm, especially since I did not have her in preschool.  Though the kidney infections and UTI's are less common.  Force fluids as much as you can and enforce the covering your mouth when you cough and sneeze rule.  I know it's pretty hard, mine is always hacking everywhere.  I stress the importance of keeping her hands out of her mouth at school too.  Though I think some kids just get sick more often than others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)