Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Allowed at school, really?!

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Jen
  • 62 Replies

Electronics are allowed in my friends kiddos class. He is in the 4th grade. What are your thoughts on this? Good idea? Bad idea? Are electronics allowed in your kiddos class?

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:15 AM

No!  My son is in 4th grade and at Christmas, I got a new phone so he "inherited" the house cell phone to use (a long way of saying he got a cell phone, but it was not his Christmas gift).  Anyhoo, he has to have it turned off when he walks in the school and it can not be turned back on until he walks back out of the doors.  Things like iPods, DSs, and things are the same way.

mama2beautiesnb
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:16 AM
i dont agree with it at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I guess it would depend on what electronics and what they are doing with them. Unfortunally electronics are only going to be more and more prevalent in our society, so learning how to use them is going to be very important. I don't have a problem with it.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Not in the younger grades.  Starting in 6th grade, the students get a school-issued laptop so then obviously that is allowed.  I know other schools give school-issued ipads starting in 6th grade.  But beyond that, no.  They are not and should not be allowed.  They would fall under the category of distraction.

matofour
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Depends on what you mean?
Cell phones, nope. Put them away.

But, many of our classes have iPads. My daughter is classified, she's dyslexic.
Electronics are a huge part of her day. Between listening to books on her iPod, to speaking into the iPad for written homework (speak to write programs).

There is a time and place for electronics.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:31 AM
3 moms liked this
It depends. If it's being used for an educational purpose, that's good. But things like cell phones and games are just distractions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SwtSnowflake2
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this
At DS school they got a technology grant to buy iPads for the school. They get to use them for different things.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jaytee
by Jen on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Ds, game systems, etc. I completely understnad using electronics for learning. It's not the case in this instance.

Quoting natesmom1228:

I guess it would depend on what electronics and what they are doing with them. Unfortunally electronics are only going to be more and more prevalent in our society, so learning how to use them is going to be very important. I don't have a problem with it.

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM

What is the reasoning for allowing them?  That just doesn't seem right to me.

Quoting jaytee:

Ds, game systems, etc. I completely understnad using electronics for learning. It's not the case in this instance.

Quoting natesmom1228:

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:49 AM
I know when DS was in 5th grade, he was allowed to take his Kindleto school. Of course I didn't want it there because I didn't want it to get lost.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)