Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Allowed at school, really?!

Posted by   + Show Post

Electronics are allowed in my friends kiddos class. He is in the 4th grade. What are your thoughts on this? Good idea? Bad idea? Are electronics allowed in your kiddos class?

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Replies (11-20):
berlgirl1224
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Yep, my boys' school has iPads. They have enough for two classes. It's a private school, usually one class per grade with two or three exceptions, and they pass them around for projects, stories, etc. they were just approved for one per child, so this is great. Really helps the younger children

Quoting SwtSnowflake2:

At DS school they got a technology grant to buy iPads for the school. They get to use them for different things.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jen113000
by Jenna on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Bad idea!! Too much distraction. As far as I know, no electronics at my sons school. But I wouldn't allow him to bring any regardless.

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Only during the party time... they have an extravaganza and the kids can pick two activities out of like 30. One is electronics, and they can use their iPods and such during that time.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM

The only thing that is permitted are ereaders for students in grades 3-12.  The students are only permitted to use them for reading purposes,  If they are caught doing anything other than reading, the ereader will be taken away for the remainder of the day and not permitted back for the rest of the school year.  

Students are responsible for their own ereader.  If it is broken, lost, or stolen the school will NOT be held accountable.  So bring them at your own risk.

I'm not a fan of this policy and my children will not be taking their tablets to school any time soon.  I completely trust my children, but don't trust the other students.

I do not consider school owed items to be a part of a policy like this.  Since they are owned by the school, and used at school for classwork.

jaytee
by Jen on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM

To have during recess, down time, etc. I would be afraid that they would be stolen or lost. Not to mention that the kiddos might try to sneak to play them during lessons.

Quoting natesmom1228:

What is the reasoning for allowing them?  That just doesn't seem right to me.

Quoting jaytee:

Ds, game systems, etc. I completely understnad using electronics for learning. It's not the case in this instance.

Quoting natesmom1228:

I guess it would depend on what electronics and what they are doing with them. Unfortunally electronics are only going to be more and more prevalent in our society, so learning how to use them is going to be very important. I don't have a problem with it.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Electronics are allowed starting in 4th grade in our school. This is a new thing this year. But it's very controlled. The child and parents both have to take a class re: appropriate school use of electronics, how to connect to the school's wireless, connecting to the school's printers, internet safety, what protective features the school has on their internet, etc. and sign papers that they understand. They also can't just pull out an iPad, for instance, at any time. There are set times allowed for use. They can only use them for research or school related projects at those set times. They are limited to academics- they can't bring a DS and play games. Failure to compy results in the electronic item being taken by the teacher and turned in to the office for the parent to come pick up.

I think it's a good idea as long as it doesn't get abused. It easier for a kid to just jump on their own familiar electronic and research/print and doesn't take up a school laptop for another child who doesn't have an electronic device (as our kids have to share computers when doing research/typing papers).

That said, my oldest is my only child old enough (until next year), but IMO he's just not quite responsible enough yet. Not to mention we don't own an iPad. LOL

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Recess is supposed to be used for exercise, but to each their own. I hope the teacher would collect them when they are not supposed to be in use. I would not let Nathan take his to school.

Quoting jaytee:

To have during recess, down time, etc. I would be afraid that they would be stolen or lost. Not to mention that the kiddos might try to sneak to play them during lessons.

Quoting natesmom1228:

Quoting jaytee:

Ds, game systems, etc. I completely understnad using electronics for learning. It's not the case in this instance.

Quoting natesmom1228:

I guess it would depend on what electronics and what they are doing with them. Unfortunally electronics are only going to be more and more prevalent in our society, so learning how to use them is going to be very important. I don't have a problem with it.

lorial58
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Actually, SOME electronics allowed but are SUPPOSED to stay in the lockers until they have a break period or lunch.  I get to overrule the school and I don't allow my children to take their electronics to school.  First of all I don't want them to get dropped or stolen as they represent a rather signifigant amount of money and secondly who really thinks they're keeping them in the lockers?  A show of hands please.  That's right, none of them.  They think they're so clever when they run the wires up through their pants or set the phone to vibrate only and then the teacher comes along and they have to do without their favorite toys.  So, this is one of those rules I make that we do not negotiate about.  No electronics in school even though your friends have them.

jaytee
by Jen on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I agree that recess is for exercise time! I wouldn't allow my kiddos to take them to school either.

Quoting natesmom1228:

Recess is supposed to be used for exercise, but to each their own. I hope the teacher would collect them when they are not supposed to be in use. I would not let Nathan take his to school.

Quoting jaytee:

Quoting natesmom1228:

Quoting jaytee:

Quoting natesmom1228:

nebcutie
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM

yep, my DD takes her kindle and some of the other kids kave there ipods. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)