Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Allowed at school, really?!

Posted by   + Show Post

Electronics are allowed in my friends kiddos class. He is in the 4th grade. What are your thoughts on this? Good idea? Bad idea? Are electronics allowed in your kiddos class?

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Replies (21-30):
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM

We have technology Fridays at our school. Every Friday children are allowed to bring their technology with them. If they have completed their work for the day, they are allowed take their technology out and play with it. My son has taken his Leap Pad as well as his iPad before.

emelymac
by Emely on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM
No. You are not even supposed to bring them to school let alone use them. I agree with the rule. My daughter brought in a $1 calculator and the boy sitting next to her stole it. That is a whole other story...the boy didn't even get in trouble. I think if you bring something expensive like that in to school and it gets stolen or broken...ooh well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:59 PM

My dd's school has the smart boards and computers available for them to use but nothing else is allowed.

corrinacs
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:34 PM

No, but he's too young to really have them.  I don't think mayn classes do allow it at this age....its too distracting.  Of course, the school provides them with computers to use for their education there :).

theresaphilly
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Nope at my children's school electronics are not allowed.

bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM

They are only allowed at dd's school for electronic day, which is like twice a year...dd is always mad on that day, because I dont allow her to take anything

RMC007
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Personal electronics are not allowed in elementary school, but the students do use computers and IPads in the classroom. Middle school and high school students are allowed to bring IPads and other tablets to school, but they are only allowed to use them with teacher permission and for education purposes only.

Shani527
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:43 PM
personal no.
but in my daughters k class thete ate several laptops plus laptops snd desk tops in the computer lab. at orientation for next school year for my son starting k it was stressed to let them learn how to use a touch pad and mouse so itsnot over whelming, and to.teach thrm to type their name before the dchool uear starts.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:45 PM

No, due to possibility of loss, theft or breakage. The school has its own cart of computers, ipads and ipod touches the kids use, so there is no need.

ScarletRose4488
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Yeah, Ipads became standard in my daughters class last year in 4th grade.  Before that it was an unofficial allowed practice just like the cell phones.  It upset her for a while since I think she is the only one who does not have one.  Well that and they started turning all the lights off for reading time.  But after a week of freaking out she calmed down and just takes a flashlight.  

I have been given the heads up that next year when she goes to middle school it is technically optional because the school won't cover any damage or theft.  (Brillant, right)  But that it really is something she has to have.  Also, laptops are allowed in the middle school - though the school has ones for them to use if they ever need it so it is not required.  

It is the way of the future.  As it stands now almost all parent communication is online, about 1/3 of homework is online, and she doesn't have to bring home her textbooks because those are all online too. 

Jen
~ I speak from the heart because the truth is always the best - even if you don't know it yet. ~
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN