Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Allowed at school, really?!

Posted by   + Show Post

Electronics are allowed in my friends kiddos class. He is in the 4th grade. What are your thoughts on this? Good idea? Bad idea? Are electronics allowed in your kiddos class?

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Replies (31-40):
ScarletRose4488
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Of course this is in addition to the computers, smartboards, and other electronics used for instruction. 

I was referring to personal electronics. 

Quoting ScarletRose4488:

Yeah, Ipads became standard in my daughters class last year in 4th grade.  Before that it was an unofficial allowed practice just like the cell phones.  It upset her for a while since I think she is the only one who does not have one.  Well that and they started turning all the lights off for reading time.  But after a week of freaking out she calmed down and just takes a flashlight.  

I have been given the heads up that next year when she goes to middle school it is technically optional because the school won't cover any damage or theft.  (Brillant, right)  But that it really is something she has to have.  Also, laptops are allowed in the middle school - though the school has ones for them to use if they ever need it so it is not required.  

It is the way of the future.  As it stands now almost all parent communication is online, about 1/3 of homework is online, and she doesn't have to bring home her textbooks because those are all online too. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I know kids take them on the bus, but all phones, game systems, ipads, ipods, etc have to stay in their backpacks during school. Personally, I would not allow my kids to take them if they had them.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I just think it's a bad idea to send valuables to school with your child... Including expensive electronics like a DS or an iPod. They could too easily get stolen, lost, or broken IMO.

I'm not sure what our district's policy is for upper elementary. I know many classrooms in our area use iPads and other electronics for educational purposes starting in the lower grades, but those belong to the school and stay in the classroom. I'm fine with that, as using technology is basically a life skill these days.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I bet it's the wave of the future. 

Banning electronics is fighting a losing battle. Plus, there are lots of educational merits to allowing them. Our high schools now have a BYOT (bring your own technology) policy so kids can use hand held devices in class. 

I don't think elementary kids really need them at this point though. 

littleangie
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Is it individual  provided or school provided? 

jaytee
by Jen on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Individual

Quoting littleangie:

Is it individual  provided or school provided? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Cell phones are allowed in school but they have to be in their backpacks.  My kids don't bring in their electronics simply because school is a place to learn and not a place to show off their stuff.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:59 PM

While we did receive a note at the beginning of the school year, stating none of the electronics were permitted during school hours. I have witnessed kids playing them during lunch, while waiting to be allowed outside for recess. Kids are allowed to bring them to school. But they are to be kept off in their back packs until the bus ride home, or latch key(day care).

They are allowed to bring in an ereader for reading. But all work is to have been completed and turned in before hand. And they have to sign a release to bring this at the beginning of the school year. It states that the school is not liable for any damage, theft or etc. of the item.

I do not allow my children to take these items to school. My oldest does carry his cell phone in his backpack. But that is locked in his locker. He can retrieve it to check messages on the bus ride home. Otherwise it stays in the back pack.

Prissy_Gurl
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Electronics are not allowed at my kids school. But at my nephews school kids take all sorts of electronics.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TroyboysMom
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM

It depends on what the electronics are, and what is being done with them. So much today is technology dependent that an outright ban on all electronics in the classroom seems more than a little shortsighted. Something like a kindle/nook, iPad, or laptop can be really incredibly useful tools in the classroom. A cell phone as a distraction definitely should not be allowed, just like anything else that is a distraction in the classroom. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN