Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Allowed at school, really?!

Posted by   + Show Post

Electronics are allowed in my friends kiddos class. He is in the 4th grade. What are your thoughts on this? Good idea? Bad idea? Are electronics allowed in your kiddos class?

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Replies (41-50):
Lurion
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Teacher: "I know you're texting 'cause you're looking at your crotch and smiling." 

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this
At our school, kids can not have electronics at all prior to grade 5. Starting in grade 5, they can bring an e-reader to use for reading workshop and silent reading time, but have to be in view of a teacher and can only use it for reading (no internet). Cell phones have to stay in backpacks and very few kids have them at our school (a few 6th, several 7th, and most 8th graders). They cannot be used at all during the regular school day. Kids actually follow that rule at our school. We do not allow ANY technology use during recess, not even for educational purposes, unless sanctioned by the teacher (a child is behind, doesn't have computer access at home due to it being broken). Kids are asked to be active during recess, and they are, and they love it. One of my favorite things I have seen the 6th graders doing recently is going into the woods at our school and building huts. There are now 6-8 built and more are started daily. They are kids being kids doing stuff with their hands and imaginations.
celticgodess
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:37 PM

WTF?!

LucyHarper
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:40 PM

No. The only electronics they are allowed to have at school are cell phones and ipods and both must be off and in their bags at all times. They are allowed to use them in the hallways and on their off periods in high school, but they can't be out at any time in middle school. If they get caught using them in class in any grade, they are taken and the parent has to come in to get it back. I see no reason why kids would need electronics in the classroom, they should be paying attention to the lesson, not messing with an electronic.

CrazedMomof2
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Not at our school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM

No, not allowed at our school

Rbrown72707
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:01 PM

They can be great learning tools, depending on how they are used.  It's a great way for teachers to incorporate technology in to a lesson even though the school may not have the money to buy one for each child.  I don't know if I'd want my kid to share it with anyone else though.  Some things I get for DD she's only allowed to use at home.

calsmom62
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:36 PM
I think our kids can have them in their backpacks for the bus and maybe at indoor recess..until it becomes a distraction.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Sort of. They're not allowed video game systems or Internet-access tablets/iPads. But they are allowed to bring eReaders for reading time. Also, they are allowed their iPods/mp3 players on test days; if they finish early they may turn in their test and then listen to music quietly.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LACHESIS
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:24 AM

It has never been brought up, so I have no clue. As of right now, no, he isn't taking his Nook. Although he knows how to use it (carefully), others may not. You just don't know. 

What surprised me is my daughter just started pre-K1 and the teacher was shocked and amazed she knew how to use the computer and the learning game they were playing.

I would love to know WHAT IS A SMART BOARD? They use them both in the Pre-K1 and Kinder. I have never heard of such a thing.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN