Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Things are very different from when i was a kid

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM
  • 15 Replies
Hello...this is my first post here.
I need some advice. My 9 year old daughter has recently started her period. She is also very tall and is almost a B cup. Is there anyone here who is going through this and how do I get her to embrace who she is despite the teasing from her not as developed 4 the grade peers?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi and welcome to the group!! I have a boy and have no experience with this, other then being a girl. Here is a bump for more responses.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Welcome! I have no experience with this so here's a bump...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lorial58
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM
2 moms liked this

Welcome!!  My daughter started early too and I was taken totally by surprise.  I was an athlete at that age so I didn't start my period or really NEED a bra until I was 16.  You just need to tell her to keep her head held high and be proud of who she is.  Those other girls who are teasing her are jealous and she can certainly learn a good condescending smile and say something like "I've heard that people who are nice and don't bully someone just because they're growing up develop faster".

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I have only sons myself so I won't be dealing with these specifics from a parenting perspective.  I remember myself as a girl I was on the other end.  I was 12 years old and barely had enough to warrant a bra in the first place.  I didn't get my first period until I was 14 years old - the summer after my 8th grade year.  I remember getting mildly teased in 7th grade that I was the only one who didn't have my period yet.

It's always hard being different.  I think how you handle it as the parent is the same though.  It would be the same as if she was wearing glasses or if she had a mole on her face or something like that.  The difference here is that maybe she can take comfort in the fact that all those girls are going to be developed just like her some day.  She just gets to go through it first.  There are a lot of things that kids get excited about being first for.  Perhaps you could spin it that way, that she gets the privilege of developing first before all those other girls.  IDK, I'm just kind of thinking while I type here.

Either way, just think about how you would help her build up her self-esteem about any way that she may be different.  Apply that to this situation as well.

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Just let her know that you're there for her. I think American Girl put out a really good book that helps girls understand their bodies better, can't remember the exact title. 

idoc19
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Its nice to meet you all. Thank you for the support. I would like her to play a sport that would help her to be proud of her height but she won't have anything to do with it. What are some other activities that can build esteem?
Txlisa7969
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

My oldest daughter started her first period at the beginning of 5th grade.  She too was tall for her age and had been wearing a training bra for over a year.  By the end of 6th grade she was 5'7" and wearing a D bra.  She is now a Freshman in High School and still a D and a couple of inches taller.  Luckily she was already a confindent girl when all this hit her so she took it in stride.  But to combat some of the lesser than tactful female AND male classmates I did help her to come up with some snappy come backs.  We kind of role played it and decided what her reaction to certain situations would be.   It may also be helpful to discuss with her how you want her to handle any attention she may start getting from boy, especially older boys.  I know it seems so different than when we were kids.  I didn't start till around my 7th grade year which I think was about average back in the day.  Now that my daughter is 15 and looks easily like she is 18 I am dealing with MEN paying attention to her!  Now that is a whole other subject to deal with lol. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM
2 moms liked this

Hello.  

I have a very close girl friend who is in her mid-40's.  She started her period at 9 years old as well, so back in the late 1970's.  She did get teased some, but only by kids who weren't her friends and who would have found something else to tease her about any way.  She has always said that your best defense against being teased is a good group of friends who like you for who you are.  That way you can easily ignore everyone else.

idoc19
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Oh yes. I know exactly. Mine at 9 yrs old can easily pass for 13/14 yrs old. Its really scary for me. I am doing what I can to talk to her about boys but she is 9 and still plays with dolls...its a hard balance. I want to preserve her innocense but still spark awareness

Quoting Txlisa7969:

My oldest daughter started her first period at the beginning of 5th grade.  She too was tall for her age and had been wearing a training bra for over a year.  By the end of 6th grade she was 5'7" and wearing a D bra.  She is now a Freshman in High School and still a D and a couple of inches taller.  Luckily she was already a confindent girl when all this hit her so she took it in stride.  But to combat some of the lesser than tactful female AND male classmates I did help her to come up with some snappy come backs.  We kind of role played it and decided what her reaction to certain situations would be.   It may also be helpful to discuss with her how you want her to handle any attention she may start getting from boy, especially older boys.  I know it seems so different than when we were kids.  I didn't start till around my 7th grade year which I think was about average back in the day.  Now that my daughter is 15 and looks easily like she is 18 I am dealing with MEN paying attention to her!  Now that is a whole other subject to deal with lol. 

kmt_771
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is 12 now but she started when she was 9 and she is 5'5 and wears a C cup. I understand how you must feel. They teased my daughter off and on til she was in middle school and she has really come into her own. Now the boys who teased her are wanting her to be friends with them. We have always told our DD that she is beautiful and that sometimes when people tease it is because they are insecure about something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)