Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

DCFS to do Home Study for Kindergaten ***UPDATE***

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:29 PM
  • 42 Replies

My hubby just went to get our permit to enroll our 5 year old dd in Kindergarten, and he told me that DCFS will be doing a home study. He said it was on the paperwork he got. He had some other errands to run, so I haven't seen the paperwork yet.

Anyone else have to go through this?

I'm already stressing due to some stuff my ex is pulling with my two oldest, and I don't really need this extra stress. I asked him if it was for those who were already in the system, and he said it was on the paperwork, so it looks like they are doing it with everyone.

IMO I think it's a waste of tax-payer's money, and it's taking away from them doing their job checking in on the kids that need to be checked on.

UPDATE - I didn't get a chance to see the papers until close to 5:30 PM, and this is the first time I've been able to get on the computer since then.

1st off - He misread the statement. It says that we are subject to being monitored by a home vist by an employee of our school board, and if our info is found to be false, then the permit would be revoked and turned over to the DA for prosecution.

2nd - It is a public school, and they just started the permits last school year. From what I understand, there have been too many people trying to register their kids in a disctict they don't live in.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:37 PM

This is crazy, I've never heard of anything like it. Child & Family Services has more than enough to do in our area without doing a home study on every family each time a child enrolls in school... A home study is very time consuming!

Could you call the school district office and follow up to find out exactly what this is?

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Never heard of it. Call the school about it and inquire whether you can refuse.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I have never heard of that before and I'm going to guess that he misread.  Some schools have the teacher/staff member come and visit your home prior to the child starting school.  I wonder if that is what he is talking about?

corrinacs
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I've never heard of such a thing.  Not for entering your child into Kindergarten.  Enrolling my child into Kindergarten was one of the easiest things I've ever done really.  I mean, filling out the paperwork was a doozy, but it was just the paperwork.  Turned it in early one morning and that was it....done!

I bet he read something wrong.

headingsouth13
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM

i never heard of it being done. Now on the other hand i know a lot of school districts done a kindergarten evaluation to gage their level and aid in class placement but for dfcs to come to your home that is a new one on me

CafeMom Tickers
rollinhard07
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Is it a private school of some sort? I must be out of the loop but why do you need a permit to enroll your child into kinder? The only time I've heard of DCFS doing a home check is if abuse has been reported.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM

My district does an evaluation. According to the information we've been given it's a mandatory statewide screening.

No visit from a social worker, though!

Quoting headingsouth13:

i never heard of it being done. Now on the other hand i know a lot of school districts done a kindergarten evaluation to gage their level and aid in class placement but for dfcs to come to your home that is a new one on me

headingsouth13
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:42 PM

as does my state and the state we are moving to but i have never heard of DFCS coming to someones home when enrolling a child in kindergarten or any grade for that matter.

(on a side note sry for the typos i have 2 sick toddlers and twins kicking me in both my ribs and bladder)

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

My district does an evaluation. According to the information we've been given it's a mandatory statewide screening.

No visit from a social worker, though!

Quoting headingsouth13:

CafeMom Tickers
Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

DCFS doesn't even have time to work with the family's already in their system. I can't see they would have time to do a home study for each child entering school. My daughters grade had 300+ students. And we are a small town. 

gsdogsrule
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you sure he didn't confuse this? Perhaps it says that they'll do a homestudy if the teacher files a report if they have concerns? I know that often K teachers will do a homevisit before school starts to introduce herself. I think you should wait until you've read through the info yourself, and if you have questions, call the school. This does sounds a little off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)