Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

When another child tells your child her family is wrong!!!

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:53 PM
  • 31 Replies

My daughter is a 2nd grader.  She came home and told me another little girl told her that Brown people and white people couldn't be together because it was wrong.   They could be friends but thats it.  Her daddy said so.  The little girl told my daughter this because she didn't want my daughter to get hurt.  

Now we are an interracial family.  I am white my husband is black.  I am still mad that it happened.  I told her teacher and she said she would handle it and would let me know what happened.

GRRRRR 

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cindy18
by Cruella on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:57 PM
6 moms liked this

Well, unfortunately you can't control how other people raise their children.

I would just tell my child that it's sad that this dad thinks that because he is missing out on a lot of great people in the world. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:59 PM
3 moms liked this

Honestly, you can't control what others teach in their own children in their own homes.  What you can control is what you teach your own child in your own home.

Also be very careful discussing another child with the teacher, as talking about another student with you is a violation of privacy rules.  You can tell the teacher what another child did/said to your child, but the teacher really shouldn't be giving you any personal information about that child or any punishments that the child is given, even if the punishment is the result of something done to your child.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Totally agree with this....

Also, it wasn't something "done" to your child. The teacher can't discipline the child for her family's beliefs, even if they are messed up. 

What do you think the teacher is going to do about it?

Quoting steelcrazy:

Honestly, you can't control what others teach in their own children in their own homes.  What you can control is what you teach your own child in your own home.

Also be very careful discussing another child with the teacher, as talking about another student with you is a violation of privacy rules.  You can tell the teacher what another child did/said to your child, but the teacher really shouldn't be giving you any personal information about that child or any punishments that the child is given, even if the punishment is the result of something done to your child.

Cindy

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:11 PM
2 moms liked this

It's unfortunate that your daughter was spoken to this way, but it is how some people feel. There's not much the teacher can do, the other child's parents have the right to raise their child with whatever beliefs they see fit- as misguided and ignorant as they may be.

This is a good opportunity to help your daughter understand that some people are ignorant and afraid of things that are unfamiliar. The best thing she could do is befriend the other student to show her there is nothing wrong with brown and white people being together. 

BellaByrdie
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:34 PM

The teacher sent me an email this evening saying she talked to both girls and made sure everything was okay between them.   There was no punishment.  And the little girls father volunteers at the school and in the classroom with my daughter at times.  Which will also be stopped now.  

I guess I feel differently because it was my child who came home to me in tears.  Saying are you and daddy wrong.   The little girl had told her God said it was wrong for black people and white people to be together.  

MJP76
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:38 PM

This. Or something very similar.

Quoting Cindy18:

Well, unfortunately you can't control how other people raise their children.

I would just tell my child that it's sad that this dad thinks that because he is missing out on a lot of great people in the world. 

Precious333
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Thats frustrating :( sorry that happened. We are an interracial family as well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KRIZZ25
I HATE BEING ALONE..EVERY ONE HAD A SOME BODY.I HAVE A NO BODY .
Yesterday at 7:47 PM
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:39 PM
THAT'S THE WORLD WE LIVE IN .SORRY
Cindy18
by Cruella on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:41 PM
2 moms liked this

I get being pissed about the whole conversation, I really do. But you can't control how others think. 

I'm not sure I agree with the dad not being allowed to volunteer anymore. I don't agree with him but I don't think it's right to ban him from the school. If his daughter hadn't repeated what he said then you would never know his beliefs and would not have a problem with him. I'm not sure that's the best solution.....

Quoting BellaByrdie:

The teacher sent me an email this evening saying she talked to both girls and made sure everything was okay between them.   There was no punishment.  And the little girls father volunteers at the school and in the classroom with my daughter at times.  Which will also be stopped now.  

I guess I feel differently because it was my child who came home to me in tears.  Saying are you and daddy wrong.   The little girl had told her God said it was wrong for black people and white people to be together.  

CometGirl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Why is the father being stopped from helping in the school/classroom?  According to your post he said the girls could still be friends.  His personal views on inter-racial marriage shouldn't ban him from helping out at the school. JMO

Quoting BellaByrdie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)