Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's not just about make up work!

Posted by   + Show Post

A reply in another post reminded me that I've been meaning to post something about missing school. 

It hurts kids' grades.

There's no getting around it. I'm not saying one missed day a marking period has a huge impact, but when students miss more than a couple of days it is bound to hurt their grades for the marking period. 

I often have parents wondering why a child's grades have dropped. When I point out that several, or many, days were missed they are often confused how this relates to grades. The answer I often hear is... 

"But he did all the makeup work."

Make up work doesn't cover a day's worth of learning. I have my students for over 5 hours a day. I might send home 2-3 pages of missed work per day. That doesn't replace the 5 hours of learning that took place in the classroom while the child was out. 

Written work in school serves two purposes:

1. to practice a skill introduced in a lesson

2. to asses mastery of a skill that's been taught.

Written work doesn't actually teach the student anything new. 

So when your child does all the make up work that's great. But it doesn't replace the lesson and activities done in class that prepared the students for the written work. 

I wonder how many parents really think about this. 

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
mom23heathens
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:59 PM

My child hasn't missed a day this year. My neighbor has a few kids and not a week goes by that one of them didn't stay home. My daughter missed 13  consecutives days in kdg because she was hospitalized with pneumonia and then she missed 9 in 1st grade at almost the same time of year for asthma. She had a note from her dr. and was again hospitalized for testing. Both times i went to school and talked with her teacher and got a lesson plan and taught her myself in the hospital and at home during recovery. I was worried she would fall behind but what helped was she was way ahead to begin with. She had a 3rd grade reading level in kdg. I don't mess around with school. Attendence, homework, extra credit, you name it. I know how important it is especially at the elementary level. If they don't fall in love with learning and retain what they learn now, it hinders their success at the upper levels.

MJP76
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:59 PM

LOL

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting MJP76:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting MJP76:

I agree with you. Most parents don't think of it or don't care...

Some don't care that's true. 

But so many just don't realize. 

To me that just falls under the category of common sense.. And as Dr Phil says "common sense isn't very common" LOL

I hate to agree with Dr. Phil, but I do on this one. 

Nolanzo
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:59 PM
I agree with you for the most part.

And then, in the next breath I'll tell you about my family.

During my and my siblings school years, my parents took us every single year to Florida during winter break, but for a lot longer than what spring break allowed... Usually for 3 weeks or so. Every year from kindergarten till I graduated.

My sister was valedictorian of her class. My brother was salutatorian of his. And I was in the top 25 of mine.

It CAN be done. It probably helped that my mother was a high school math teacher for 35 years... She was a slave driver :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Thanks for sharing this, I've never thought about it that way... But it does make sense that a worksheet or two is not equal to mastering a skill. I want to keep this in mind with my son starting K next year, as it is awfully tempting to think that missing time for family vacations is no big deal... But the reality is that school is about more than just checking a box. The learning experience is valuable.

Thank you for helping me to think about this in a different light.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I can be done under very specific circumstances. 

But a typical student in the average situation is going to see an decline in grades after missing a couple of weeks of school. 

Quoting Nolanzo:

During my and my siblings school years, my parents took us every single year to Florida during winter break, but for a lot longer than what spring break allowed... Usually for 3 weeks or so. Every year from kindergarten till I graduated.

My sister was valedictorian of her class. My brother was salutatorian of his. And I was in the top 25 of mine.

It CAN be done. It probably helped that my mother was a high school math teacher for 35 years... She was a slave driver :)

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Thanks for sharing this, I've never thought about it that way... But it does make sense that a worksheet or two is not equal to mastering a skill. I want to keep this in mind with my son starting K next year, as it is awfully tempting to think that missing time for family vacations is no big deal... But the reality is that school is about more than just checking a box. The learning experience is valuable.

Thank you for helping me to think about this in a different light.

Again, I am so glad to hear this!

Nolanzo
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:07 PM
... And I agree. I am confident that the largest factor was the fact that my mother was a teacher... I grew up in a 24 hour a day classroom because she ran the house that way. So actually being in school or not was neither here nor there as far as she was concerned :)

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I can be done under very specific circumstances. 

But a typical student in the average situation is going to see an decline in grades after missing a couple of weeks of school. 

Quoting Nolanzo:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:22 PM
2 moms liked this

I was surprised at how much school a lot of my friends missed.  And they'd be super upset when something on a test was marked wrong.  "It wasn't in the make up work!"  No, but it was in the book and part of the CLASS DISCUSSION.

That's another problem with make up work.  I know when my teachers sent it home, they intended for the student to READ the materials, think deeper, and complete the worksheets.  But a lot of kids would scan through super fast, find the answer, and not give it a second thought.

I know my kids will miss school from time to time, possibly for family functions.  It happens.  BUT, I'm not going to let them skate by perusing for answers and tossing the worksheets aside.  I'll sit down and teach them myself, and if the teacher will work with me, I'll get more detailed information from her to pass on to them.

I missed 2 weeks of school one year for a family function.  (Great Grandma was diagnosed with terminal cancer, so we had a family reunion before she died.)  I got all the make up work, and for 2 weeks after I got back, I went and saw my teachers before and after school to make sure I got all the information needed.  Yeah, it sucked going in early or staying late, but my grades stayed perfect because of it.  (I was in HS, so 7 different teachers in a day.  It was a chore catching up, but I was glad I did.)

GwenMB
by Gwen on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Funny you're mentioning this.  I've heard several moms at my son's school say that they were surprised that their child only had a couple pages of make up work when they missed a day.  This caused them to think that most of the day was somehow wasted & that they could homeschool given how long it took for their child to do the work.

I hadn't really thought of it from the side of the teacher or how much teaching there is to get to the point of doing the worksheets.

I was surprised that my son had no makeup work when he missed a day being sick last week.  But that was more because it meant he got it done in class & given his tendancy to get distracted by what everyone else is doing & sometimes have stuff sent home so he can catch up, I was impressed that he made up his sick day in class the next day. 

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:34 PM

My dd has missed 7 days of school out of the 3.5 months that she's been attending an actual school. The first 5 were due to a hospitalization for severe dehydration, coupled with bacterial pneumonia and a new asthma diagnosis. The other 2 were for doctors appointments that could not be scheduled outside of school hours. She will be picked up early on the 20th for another appt. The latest appt that they had was at 2:45 and she gets out at 3:15. I will have to pick her up at 1:45 though because the check out procedure takes several minutes and it will take me 40+ minutes to drive from her school to the doc and we have to be there 15 min early to fill out paperwork. 

She had nothing to makeup for the 5 days because she had only been at the school for about a week or so before getting sick and they were still testing for placement within her class's ability groups. I always make sure that she learns what is necessary when she misses and that she completes her work. They don't get actual grades yet though so it doesn't effect her much when she misses. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)