Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

It's not just about make up work!

Posted by   + Show Post

A reply in another post reminded me that I've been meaning to post something about missing school. 

It hurts kids' grades.

There's no getting around it. I'm not saying one missed day a marking period has a huge impact, but when students miss more than a couple of days it is bound to hurt their grades for the marking period. 

I often have parents wondering why a child's grades have dropped. When I point out that several, or many, days were missed they are often confused how this relates to grades. The answer I often hear is... 

"But he did all the makeup work."

Make up work doesn't cover a day's worth of learning. I have my students for over 5 hours a day. I might send home 2-3 pages of missed work per day. That doesn't replace the 5 hours of learning that took place in the classroom while the child was out. 

Written work in school serves two purposes:

1. to practice a skill introduced in a lesson

2. to asses mastery of a skill that's been taught.

Written work doesn't actually teach the student anything new. 

So when your child does all the make up work that's great. But it doesn't replace the lesson and activities done in class that prepared the students for the written work. 

I wonder how many parents really think about this. 

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Replies (41-50):
soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:47 PM

You are right and that the parents don't think about this.  Only us teachers seem to understand.

family in the van   Mom of four

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Dd just missed 3 days this week and Im going to talk to her teacher about the lessons. I want to see if she can give dd the lessons during recess or cut her music or art class.

That's most likely not really possible. The teacher has some sort of duty during recess and music is the teacher's time to prep. 

If I gave up my planning period to reteach to the kids who were absent I would literally never have one.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I was going to say the same thing.  The teacher taught the lesson.  They don't have time to go back and teach it one on one to someone who was absent.  She will need to go to tutoring or get a friend to help her.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Dd just missed 3 days this week and Im going to talk to her teacher about the lessons. I want to see if she can give dd the lessons during recess or cut her music or art class.

That's most likely not really possible. The teacher has some sort of duty during recess and music is the teacher's time to prep. 

If I gave up my planning period to reteach to the kids who were absent I would literally never have one.

MamiJaAyla
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I don't know... it may affect their test grade... although when my kids are out I not only ask for some make up work but ALL the books so that I can "teach" them the material at home.

SOmetime abscences can't be helped and if a teacher gives my child a "Z" b/c of work that he/she did not do due to being out without the opp. to make it up I WILL have an issues.

If I see that they are sick enough to be out for several days I call and go to the school to pick up the work and books.

Its not exactly the same but its 1:1 as much as possible.

Sometimes you can't help abscences my ds was out about 10-15 days last year due illness.  Every time he gets strep he's out a min. of 5 days.  He gets 104-105+ fevers, even with antibiotics. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:27 PM

No one is saying kids should never miss school. Everyone gets sick. 

But if a child is frequently sick there is a very good chance that grades will suffer. That's something parents should understand and realize there's nothing the teacher can do about it. 

Quoting MamiJaAyla:

I don't know... it may affect their test grade... although when my kids are out I not only ask for some make up work but ALL the books so that I can "teach" them the material at home.

SOmetime abscences can't be helped and if a teacher gives my child a "Z" b/c of work that he/she did not do due to being out without the opp. to make it up I WILL have an issues.

If I see that they are sick enough to be out for several days I call and go to the school to pick up the work and books.

Its not exactly the same but its 1:1 as much as possible.

Sometimes you can't help abscences my ds was out about 10-15 days last year due illness.  Every time he gets strep he's out a min. of 5 days.  He gets 104-105+ fevers, even with antibiotics. 

kaylasmom22
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Lol she is in kindergarten it's not high school. The teacher actually pulled her away at playtime to go over some stuff. We at home did math work beyond the school lessons so she is all caught up on that. Tomorrow she will do her math test (due this past Monday) and next week she will give her the spelling test due tomorrow.

Quoting mjande4:

I was going to say the same thing.  The teacher taught the lesson.  They don't have time to go back and teach it one on one to someone who was absent.  She will need to go to tutoring or get a friend to help her.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM

If it's kindergarten, then why aren't YOU capable of teaching her the material!? Making up tests is different from teaching a lesson and it doesn't matter what age they are, the teacher is moving on.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Lol she is in kindergarten it's not high school. The teacher actually pulled her away at playtime to go over some stuff. We at home did math work beyond the school lessons so she is all caught up on that. Tomorrow she will do her math test (due this past Monday) and next week she will give her the spelling test due tomorrow.

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting kaylasmom22:

kaylasmom22
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM
She told me dd didn't miss much in terms of lessons. She only needs to make up 2 test and that's it. But if needed be she would have taken her art or music to help her catch up. ( if she was out for a long time)

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting kaylasmom22:

kaylasmom22
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:19 PM
I already did,the math part. The reading is different cause the book stays in school. I doubt they will let me come in and read her the story will they? Lol

Quoting mjande4:

If it's kindergarten, then why aren't YOU capable of teaching her the material!? Making up tests is different from teaching a lesson and it doesn't matter what age they are, the teacher is moving on.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting kaylasmom22:

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Why wouldn't they!?  Parent volunteer.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

I already did,the math part. The reading is different cause the book stays in school. I doubt they will let me come in and read her the story will they? Lol

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN