Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's not just about make up work!

Posted by   + Show Post

A reply in another post reminded me that I've been meaning to post something about missing school. 

It hurts kids' grades.

There's no getting around it. I'm not saying one missed day a marking period has a huge impact, but when students miss more than a couple of days it is bound to hurt their grades for the marking period. 

I often have parents wondering why a child's grades have dropped. When I point out that several, or many, days were missed they are often confused how this relates to grades. The answer I often hear is... 

"But he did all the makeup work."

Make up work doesn't cover a day's worth of learning. I have my students for over 5 hours a day. I might send home 2-3 pages of missed work per day. That doesn't replace the 5 hours of learning that took place in the classroom while the child was out. 

Written work in school serves two purposes:

1. to practice a skill introduced in a lesson

2. to asses mastery of a skill that's been taught.

Written work doesn't actually teach the student anything new. 

So when your child does all the make up work that's great. But it doesn't replace the lesson and activities done in class that prepared the students for the written work. 

I wonder how many parents really think about this. 

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Replies (71-71):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:30 PM
When the kids were in Public School, I volunteered regularly. AT BEST I would say they got 3 hours instruction on the best day...out of a 6hr day and that was with the teacher stoppng to refocus/redirect kids several times in the middle of lessons. I don't think they ever did 30 minutes per subject of instruction time. Centers were 15 min each with 5 min transition time per rotation.

One on one...it didn't take us 3 hours to do a full day's seat work at home. Our lessons at home are one on one or 1:2 , The math curriculum the instruction part never takes more than 10 min for a concept and that's with an instructor on DVD and me helping if needed. Grammar, about the same. All About Spelling curriculum takes about 20 min. Science and history take nearly an hour each because we often do projects so that they keep busy.

Literature I send the kids to co~op which is run more like a college course. They go to two 1 hr sessions and get a monthly syllabus/homework assignment packet and are responsible for getting it done at their own pace. Good training for college.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I think you'd be very surprised if you were in a class keeping track. There's much more than a couple hours of learning going in in every classroom I've been in. I'm not saying there aren't any that waste that much time, but I really don't think it's typical. 

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I can't 100% agree on this one...

30 kids in a room, transition time, bathroom breaks, lunch, recess, etc...they say the average child gets less than 2 hours instruction and less than 30 minutes individual attention in a typical public school day. (I blame the system, not the teachers.)

Give me the makeup work, and a couple hours of one on one time with my child and they willl know the material as well as, if not better than those that say in class.

Then again, we homeschool because of how schools failed my DS, Ihad to reteach/tutor him for 1 ~ 1 1/2 hrs at night to teach him what he didn't get sitting in class so I am biased and admit it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)