Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What do I do? She is only 5!

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:43 PM
  • 37 Replies

Sorry in advance if this is long.
Basically I have a 5 year old daughter in Kindergarten. At the begining of the year they did an assement and said that she was way behind. The school pressured us to put her in school full time. Morning class being an 'extra booster class' and then regular afternoon class. We finally agreed.
Well she was really struggling at first. After school I would ask her teacher how she was doing and kept getting negative response. Well in Nov begining of Dec she finally started to get it. She seemed to take off.
Well here lately she is having trouble again. They are expecting what I think is a lot out of her. She is only 5! Here are a few examples of what they expect:

ABC's capialt and lowercase, in order and mixed up (she can do this)
Count and write numbers to 100 (she can count to thirty and write to about 15)
Spelling words weekly 5-7 words. They test on Friday and she is getting 3 or 4 correct.
Sight words (35 different ones) read, recognize, spell, and write (she can do maybe 10 of them)
Every two days she gets a new 'journal' book. She is supposed to be able to read the story by herself, about 10 pages. Then on the second day with the book she is supposed to journal about it, or what ever else she wants to write about. She likes to journal, but is really just copying sentences out of the book.

These are just some examples. To make matters worse she isn't really doing assignments in class now. As an example on Friday they had their spelling test, and she didn't even write any of the words. When I asked her why, she said she was tired and that her friends were bugging her. So I tested her on them at home and she got 4/7 of the words correct.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I don't want her to fall behind in school. I just don't know what to do. We do home work every night. Spelling words she writes 5x each. We could things all the time, and practice her sight words as well. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carinsmommy
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Bump for good measure...

taz1993
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:50 PM
They are expecting a lot from the little ones. Dd is 5 and kindergarten. Shes been struggling as well. Not sure what's going on.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
carinsmommy
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:52 PM

It really seems like a lot to me. I'm worried about her being overwhelmed and at the same time I don't want her to fall behind. I'm working with her after school and it has helped a little.
We have a parent teacher conference on Friday that I'm hoping will give me more answers.

Quoting taz1993:

They are expecting a lot from the little ones. Dd is 5 and kindergarten. Shes been struggling as well. Not sure what's going on.

ChristieV
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Hmmm. When will she be 6? My sone is on the young end, turning 7 in May, and in first grade. He struggled as well in Kindergarten, but when his IQ was tested it was very high. Schools are expecting so much out of kids these days, younger and younger. It's not developmentally appropriate for many. That said, I used to get defensive, but all of the other kids seemed to be "getting it", so why not my son? Turns out he has ADHD and struggles to stay focussed.

Did your son do Pre-K? If not, maybe repeat Kindergarten? Either way, I would have her tested for learning disability, because although it does seem like a lot to expect out of the little ones, it is what it is and they are expecting it, I'm afraid. Hang in there though. Alot changes between 5 & 7!

GwenMB
by Gwen on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:55 PM

When is her birthday?

My K son doesn't have spelling words (it surprises me how often I see here that kids have spelling) but otherwise, he is expected to be able to do everything you listed.  He's doing fine with it.

What is her teacher saying about all this?  How is she helping her be successful?  Can they move her seat so her friends can't bug her?

taz1993
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:57 PM
I agree it is a lot. Dd has a test every Friday. Ive been working with her also. She goes to all day kindergarten, no naps at school at all. Her teacher says her deal is maturity since she had just turned 5 when school started. They are learning things we learned when we were 1st and 2nd grade

Quoting carinsmommy:

It really seems like a lot to me. I'm worried about her being overwhelmed and at the same time I don't want her to fall behind. I'm working with her after school and it has helped a little.
We have a parent teacher conference on Friday that I'm hoping will give me more answers.

Quoting taz1993:

carinsmommy
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:00 PM

She will be 6 in March.

When I asked her teacher she said that some students just take longer to figure it out. This was three months ago or so. We have parent-teacher conference on Friday...

I don't know that they could move her. She seems to be friends with almost every kid in the class. I had one lady tell me it was my own fault for not putting her in Pre-school...

Quoting GwenMB:

When is her birthday?

My K son doesn't have spelling words (it surprises me how often I see here that kids have spelling) but otherwise, he is expected to be able to do everything you listed.  He's doing fine with it.

What is her teacher saying about all this?  How is she helping her be successful?  Can they move her seat so her friends can't bug her?

carinsmommy
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:02 PM

My daughter doesn't nap at all either. She was 5 1/2 when school started.

I'm curious did you DD go to preschool?

Quoting taz1993:

I agree it is a lot. Dd has a test every Friday. Ive been working with her also. She goes to all day kindergarten, no naps at school at all. Her teacher says her deal is maturity since she had just turned 5 when school started. They are learning things we learned when we were 1st and 2nd grade

Quoting carinsmommy:

Quoting taz1993:

tennisgal
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:02 PM

yes, i think that's a lot. it doesn't seem age appropriate.

taz1993
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM
She turned 5 on August 4th and started school on August 20th. She went to a daycare that had a "pre k " program. Did yours go to pres k

Quoting carinsmommy:

My daughter doesn't nap at all either. She was 5 1/2 when school started.

I'm curious did you DD go to preschool?

Quoting taz1993:

Quoting carinsmommy:

Quoting taz1993:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN