Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Kitchen Talk for February 7th

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:51 AM
  • 12 Replies

It's Bean Month

What is your favorite bean? Do you cook with dried beans? How do you "soften" or cook your dry beans?

Cindy

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:04 AM

I only like green beans. Can't stand the texture of all the others.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:01 AM
I'm not really big on beans. Other than green beans and refried, I really don't cook with them much... I just don't care for the flavor.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:03 AM

I do not have a favorite. I cook dried beans more often than I do the canned beans. I soak the beans over night to clean and soften them, before cooking all day.

rHOPEb
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I don't know if I have a 'favorite' one.  I like them all in their own way.  Lentils are great meat subsitute and I've made meatloaf from them.  I cook with dried beans all the time, more so than canned.  I rarely buy canned foods.  I will do an over-night soak if I remember, but usually its the quick soak then cook.   

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Beans, beans the musical food. The more you eat, the more you toot. The more you toot, the better you feel. So eat your beans for every meal!

I love beans. I think that green beans are my fave.

I soak my dried beans to soften them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ash522
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:32 AM

We love beans. Black, pinto, kidney, small red,northern & green beans are probably the ones we eat the most. I rarely buy canned beans anymore. I usually cook them in my crock-pot. Cajun red beans & rice....mmmmmmm

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM
We love lima bean n blackeyed peas
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Not a bean lover.  Only beans I cook are green beans and the occasional times when a recipe we fix has beans in it.

family in the van   Mom of four

Larisa72
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:56 AM

YUM!!

I used dried beans, soak them overnight then simmer them the next day....we've recently had ham-bean soup and turkey-bean soup....with homemade bread, of course....filling, "nummy" and easy to make (plus great on days that are colder than well.....you know the saying...lol)

angelyuna20
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I like pinto beans, I've cooked them dry before. when cooking them dry I soften them with fatty bacon. If I'm fixing them out of a can I just use some butter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)