Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My DS started ccomplaining of a sore throat last night and had a very low temp of 99. This morning his fever was 99.5 - I know its either strep or the flu. Dr appointment is already scheduled, although its not till this evening. The thing is he will not take any meds to reduce the fever. It has always been difficult to get him to take meds. So my question is, is it ok to just let him continue to run a fever? I should mention he is 8...

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Replies (11-20):
maddiesmommy5
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:51 PM

yes, fevers are the bodies natural way of helping you get better. It is fine to let him run a fever and honestly that is so low you really have nothing to worry about.

ChristieV
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:54 PM

My doctor always told me the fever is there to kill the virus, so it's best to let the fever go. If it's over 102, you might want to treat. Honestly, my son won't take meds either, and as long as he is alert and talkative I don't treat. Obviously 103-104 is a different story, but under even 102 I'll usually let go.

MamiJaAyla
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:51 PM

at 99 I don't even think about giving fever reducers... fever helps vs. infection. 

The only time I give meds for fever under 101 is when my ds has strep b/c he gets 104-105+ fevers... so in ONLY that scenario ((he spikes quick) I give him alternates every 3-4 hours and/or when at 100.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't give my kids meds unless there temp is over 100. 

But I also don't let my 8 year old decide when he will or won't take medication. 

nova.mommy
by Kristi on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:05 PM

If you have to give him something, you could always do what my SIL does.  She gets the capsuals, opens and then mixes the dose into a dish of applesauce and the kids have to finish it.  They get the medicine and she does not have to worry about any battles at pill time.  I imagine you could mix it into ice cream, yogurt, milk or water too.  What ever works for you and DS.

piwife
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Umm that's not a fever. I don't medicate fevers under 103
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:36 PM
I know.. my dd is 5 and she takes her meds wether she wants to or not.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I don't give my kids meds unless there temp is over 100. 

But I also don't let my 8 year old decide when he will or won't take medication. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I don't give anything for under 100* either. Anything over that depends on how they're acting. If they are a little out of sorts, but mostly still their normal selves, I leave it alone. If they are all bloppy and miserable, I'll treat it.

My kids are usually pretty good about taking meds, mainly b/c they know they have no choice. Right now, ds2 and dd are both on Nasonex- they hate it but know I will get that squirted in their nose w/ or w/o their cooperation, so they hold still for it.

Ds1 has a hard time swallowing his ADHD med, so I open the capsule and put it in apple sauce. 

The only time they have a say in it is if they have a headache- if it's bad enough, they'll take something, if they don't want anything, I don't force the issue.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I don't consider that a fever and would let the fever run it's course. I don't medicate for anything under 103.5-104(depends on the symptoms and how my child is acting), not even at bed time.

hwifeandmom
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Even as babies, my kids were masters at refusing to take medication.  Even the "expert" nurses at the hospital couldn't get my babies to take their meds.  Our doctor told us "use candy."  At first I thought that was silly, but then I realized, the flavor of the meds is so strong and so foul, that the candy removes the nasty taste from their mouth and reduces the trauma of the medicine.

So, when my kids HAVE to take medicine, I let them choose what treat they want (freezer pops are good because the cold numbs the taste buds, and it's easy to keep a couple of freezer pops in the freezer).  When they were younger, I had to hold them down and force the meds into them.  Now that they're older, I have to set the timer for them to be finished with the meds, and then I give them their candy if they finish on time.

Your son may also be old enough to learn to swallow a coated medicine tablet.  When my 9yr dd learned to swallow meds, it was the greatest day ever!  She still can't take big pilils, but she can take small ones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN