Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My DS started ccomplaining of a sore throat last night and had a very low temp of 99. This morning his fever was 99.5 - I know its either strep or the flu. Dr appointment is already scheduled, although its not till this evening. The thing is he will not take any meds to reduce the fever. It has always been difficult to get him to take meds. So my question is, is it ok to just let him continue to run a fever? I should mention he is 8...

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Replies (21-25):
Hottubgodess
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Fevers are good - they kill the bad bugs.  Make sure he is drinking fluids.....popscicles are great!

Hottubgodess
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM

BTW, I have a boy with oral defensivness..so I understand the whole med issue.  :)

BKozICan
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:01 AM

This. We give meds if he has a sore throat or something, but not just for a fever.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

We don't treat fevers.   Fevers are treating the illness... why would you want to reduce it unless it was actually needed (as in, too high). 

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM

If you're that concerned about the fever, rub him down in rubbing alcohol and let him sweat it out.  DD was running a fever a few weeks ago and the alcohol is what finally broke her fever and kept it down.

NoahsCoolMama
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I wouldn't even consider 99.5 a fever. It definitely does not constitute Strep or the Flu. Those would have a fever of over 101.5. My son had that and it turned out to be a cold virus. It started with a sore throat and 99.5 fever and then went into his nose and head. It has been a week now and he is totally fine. There are so many viruses that people mistake for the flu right now. The influenza flu will have a very high fever, not a low-grade fever. If he is not complaining of pain or achy muscles and is not larthigic or uncomfortable in any way, I would hold off on meds. I did give my son chewable tylenol, because he was complaining of his throat hurting and the Tylenol helped his throat feel better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)