Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you think this is fair? ++EDITED++

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:49 AM
  • 31 Replies

I have heard this on the radio several times in the past few days or so.  I am not sure where it happened.  Some teenage high school boys, 3 I think, all minors and around 15-16, videoed themselves having sex with some girls about the same ages and posted it.  At first it was said that the boys got the girls drunk or passed out and then did this.  The last I heard, the boys say this is not true, they say it was all consensual as the girls are shown interacting with the camera.

The boys are being charged/punished but the girls are not.

If infact the girls agreed to it, shouldn't they to be punished?  They may not have agreed to the posting, but the agreed to be taped.

Does a 15 year old need to be labeled as a sex offender for the rest of his life because he did something stupid in high school?  If he has a history of doing this, yes.  But for a one time thing, no.

BTW it never said where this happened.

EDIT 02/08

I am not talking about this case in specific( it was just the most recent story i heard), but the fact that in most cases boys and girls are treated different just because they are boys or girls.

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I would need more details to decide if it's fair or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM

It only takes one bad decision to have lasting consequences. Girls can consent and revoke consent at any time. No means no. The boys should have thought further ahead that what they were doing was wrong in the first place. The boy taping should have known better. Stupidity.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Are you sure that you aren't talking about the Steubenville, OH rape case?  It is all over the national news.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:57 AM

i think if all consented then all should suffer consequences.   The boys can say no way as well as the girls to any part of the situation.

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:01 AM

No.  The reports have always said 3 boys.  Even though they never said how many girls were involved the never said 'girl' but always 'girlS'. They also never used the term gang rape in any of the reports.   I want to say it was in Virginia but I am not 100% sure.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Are you sure that you aren't talking about the Steubenville, OH rape case?  It is all over the national news.

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM

If a 15-16 year old girl cannot give consent, is it fair to say a 15-16 year old boy can?  Isn't it a double standard?  If it was 'consensual', shouldn't the girls have thought further ahead too?  Again, double standard?  What is OK for one is not for another?

Do I think it was wrong, yes.  But shouldn't all involed be treated the same?  Isn't it basically saying a minor girl can have all the sex she wants and not have to tak responsiblity for it?  But a minor boy may go to jail if he does it once?

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

It only takes one bad decision to have lasting consequences. Girls can consent and revoke consent at any time. No means no. The boys should have thought further ahead that what they were doing was wrong in the first place. The boy taping should have known better. Stupidity.

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Same thing I was thinking.

Quoting frndlyfn:

i think if all consented then all should suffer consequences.   The boys can say no way as well as the girls to any part of the situation.

JoanahLee
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:14 AM

If the girls were willing paticipants they should all be punished the same way. 

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:15 AM

For this case, yes more details are needed.

But basically what I was getting at is it fair for the boys to be treated different then the girls just because they are boys?(in any case not just sexual ones)

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

I would need more details to decide if it's fair or not.

janitablue
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I can not make assumption because I wasn't there.  A 15 year old who had consensual sex should not be labeled as a sex offender but should suffer some type of punishment for posting sexual act online.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)