Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

valentine exchange

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:14 AM
  • 21 Replies

I have 3 children 3rd gradedd 1st gradeds and pre-k dd . when dd and ds were in pre-k the wrote every childs name on the valentines and thier names too. They did this in Kindergarten also. My dd also did this in 1st grade and 2nd grade. NO big deal. well My now pre-k dd brought a note home saying not to fill in the TO: spot but just to sign thier names in the "from:" spot to make it easier handing out. Ok I get that. They can't read yet and most of them aren't writing super great either so that was fine with me. My 1st grader, ds, brought a note home saying this

"The easiest way to exchange valentines is to have your child just sign their name unfer the "from" area and leave the "to" area blank. This way we can just drop it in anyone's bag during the party".

I don't understand this. Isn't school about learning. Writing and Reading..... I think it's good for kids to learn how to spell and read other classmate names. In 1st grade most children can read enough to do that. what do you think?

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I never worried about it to be honest. We never filled out the to section just because they could get mixed up and the wrong child would get it. I think it also takes care of any "I wanted so and so to have this one because it's better then this one". I hope that makes sense, lol

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM
2 moms liked this

I think they may be saying it because they have a limited time to party and if every student has to look though the entire pile at each bag, a lot of that time having fun and playing games will be taken up.

DieselsMom
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM

It isn't because they don't want them to learn to spell/read everyone elses name, it is because a kid going around giving everyone the top card on the pile is faster than running around and giving each card their designated card...I would ask the same thing if I were a teacher!!

janitablue
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM

There are many different ways a pre-K student can learn how to write and read in school and also at home. I think the teacher is trying to make it little easier for the parent and the student especially when the student has a homework assignment to be complete. If you want your child to write to complete to and from on the card  you can ask the teacher for a list of the students in the class make it a fun activity with child. 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:36 AM

DD is in 1st grade and the teacher is encouraging the students to write everyones name as to help practice their printing.

mackiebugsmom
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM
I understand the early grades but my dd likes to personalize them, without writing names a boy could get a girlie one or a lovey one and my dd would not have that! Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM

If you have a class of 24, it takes a lot more time if every kid has to find the valentine box for the kid on the valentine. And it becomes chaotic if all the kids are doing it at the same time. By leaving the to: blank the kids can line up and drop one valentine in each box/bag as they go down the line. It is much more orderly and leaves more time for the kids to do fun things like crafts games etc or schoolwork time.

I think 1st graders have plenty other opportunities to practice reading and writing. And they probably see their classmates names on other things in the classroom all year long. Valentines are a non-issue IMO.

momamanda
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM

No I understand the pre-k they are little. But 1st grade, IMO, can handle writing and reading everyones names

Quoting janitablue:

There are many different ways a pre-K student can learn how to write and read in school and also at home. I think the teacher is trying to make it little easier for the parent and the student especially when the student has a homework assignment to be complete. If you want your child to write to complete to and from on the card  you can ask the teacher for a list of the students in the class make it a fun activity with child. 

Mashnut3161
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I have always told my kids not to worry about the TO part. That way they don't forget anyone. They can just sign every card in the box and take them all to school.

janitablue
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM

oooooooooh first grade sorry I miss that.  Ask the teacher if you child  by given you a list of name can complete the card and you have no problem with it.  Me personally I have no problem with that.

Quoting momamanda:

No I understand the pre-k they are little. But 1st grade, IMO, can handle writing and reading everyones names

Quoting janitablue:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)