Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Help! I need a dough like recipe for a craft.

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM
  • 5 Replies

Hi everyone,

I'm attempting to make a craft that will be a smaller version of my dd's 12th Bday cake(her bday was in Dec.

I don't have a pic, it got erased but I remember it.  So what I need is a recipe for something that will cover the round paper mache box like it is "frosting" on a cake. I was going to buy Fimo or Sculpey..but way too expensive for the amount I'd need to cover "cake". I also need the recipe to be able to accept food coloring because the "cake" will need to be candy pink in color. (plus other color for decorations.)  Any ideas ???  It can't be like real food so to speak because this willbe used as a usuable jewelry box, so it will get lots of use, and handled. I don't want the "frosting" to ever come off.

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
AidanTiarra
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:39 AM

You could use just a basic salt dough, 1/2 c salt, 1/2 c flour, 1 c water. I use this for my kids hand and footprint when they were born and sometimes Christmas tree ornimants. It's easy to paint and ours have lasted more than 7 years so far.

janitablue
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Click on Pinterest I hope this helps.

bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Was thinking that too

Quoting AidanTiarra:

You could use just a basic salt dough, 1/2 c salt, 1/2 c flour, 1 c water. I use this for my kids hand and footprint when they were born and sometimes Christmas tree ornimants. It's easy to paint and ours have lasted more than 7 years so far.

Morrigan333
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Thanks, andd BTW..yours didn't like crack? because mine will be going onto a paper mache box.

Quoting AidanTiarra:

AidanTiarra
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Nope, mine hasn't cracked. The baby handprints we left unfinished and the ornamints we waited with accrylic paints

You could also buy plaster of paris. It is pretty cheap, but its more of a liquid until it hardens where the salt dough is more like playdough.

Quoting Morrigan333:

Thanks, andd BTW..yours didn't like crack? because mine will be going onto a paper mache box.

Quoting AidanTiarra:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN