Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So. My son comes home and says. My teacher put me and 1 other white boy and 2 african american boys in front of our class and says. "If these 4 went in for a job. Would the white boys or the black boys get it"? Now the teacher is African American as well. Now what gets me is. Why does color even matter? If the African American boy has the better qualifacations. Then in my opinion he should get the job over my son. Its very clear to me. But I don't get how she thinks its ok to make it about race. I know that would have never crossed my sons mind til she put it there. Just wanted to get opinions and see if anyone else sees this as wrong. And if it were ur kids how would u handle it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Replies (11-20):
MichelleSw
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

Was he making a point to teach about what is USED to be like?  It's February....Black History Month....so maybe he was talking about racism. 

This makes sense :P I was getting upset for her... forgot which month it is!

Precious333
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:31 PM
I would never have done that in my classroom. U think it keeps prejudices alive hnestly (doesnt matter if the teacher was black ir white). Now if she wanted to change yhinking all shd has to do is demonstrate it in her own classroom that all races are equal in every situatipn rather than encouraging division (thats how i see it). Maybe be hace jobs that rotate in the classroom or
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Quoting Precious333:

I would never have done that in my classroom. U think it keeps prejudices alive hnestly (doesnt matter if the teacher was black ir white). Now if she wanted to change yhinking all shd has to do is demonstrate it in her own classroom that all races are equal in every situatipn rather than encouraging division (thats how i see it). Maybe be hace jobs that rotate in the classroom or

Even when talking about Civil Rights and history?

KenneMaw
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Surely there was more to this lesson than the 4 boys just standing up in front of the class.  Did you son if they teacher then spoke about how sometimes first impressions are wrong?   These days, the black person would get the job because of equal opp requirements.  

theresaphilly
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

Was he making a point to teach about what is USED to be like?  It's February....Black History Month....so maybe he was talking about racism. 

Precious333
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting Precious333:

history is very important, and you need to be truthful about what happened in the past, but not pick out students of different races to make a point.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
arthistmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I think this kind of eye-opening lesson is too mature for the age and grade level of your son. The issue the teacher is bringing up needs to be framed in its historical context for it to make sense. As for your contention that the African-American boy with better qualifications should get the job over someone who doesn't and is white, unfortunately, this scenario sometimes doesn't happen in the real world despite what we would like to believe otherwise. Race still figures highly as a factor in the economic, social, and cultural interactions in our society. We do not live (yet) in a post-race utopia.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting Precious333:

history is very important, and you need to be truthful about what happened in the past, but not pick out students of different races to make a point.

maybe, maybe not.  But I think it would be obvious to kids once you start talking about it.  My kids understand that kids come in different colors and it doesn't mean anything today but it used to mean something back then.

justliloleme
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I want my kids to fully know history. And like it or not that is part of it. I have no issue with it being taught. What I have an issue with is my son or anyones son being compared to another child of another race. It's not ok. What was said to me and I'm quoting my son that she asked them this and told them to go home and ask their parents and report their answers back. And of course we told him it depeneded on the skills and the qualifications of each person as an individual and not their race!! And went as far as showing them a video of Ray Charles and how talented he is and he did all this "because he was black". Sorry not the case. I told him to ask her. What about Ronnie Milsap!! Same situation. Never got a response. I believe it's the character that makes the man and not the color of their skin. And at 7 and 8 they should be worried about Pokeman and cars and trucks. NOT skin color of the kid they are playing with!!

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Quoting justliloleme:

I want my kids to fully know history. And like it or not that is part of it. I have no issue with it being taught. What I have an issue with is my son or anyones son being compared to another child of another race. It's not ok. What was said to me and I'm quoting my son that she asked them this and told them to go home and ask their parents and report their answers back. And of course we told him it depeneded on the skills and the qualifications of each person as an individual and not their race!! And went as far as showing them a video of Ray Charles and how talented he is and he did all this "because he was black". Sorry not the case. I told him to ask her. What about Ronnie Milsap!! Same situation. Never got a response. I believe it's the character that makes the man and not the color of their skin. And at 7 and 8 they should be worried about Pokeman and cars and trucks. NOT skin color of the kid they are playing with!!

yes, that is ideal BUT in the course of history, it wasn't like this and we have to acknowledge it as such.  If my daugthers came home, it would be a GREAT opportunity for me to support the teacher and say "yeah...that was the case and, unfortunately, there are many people who still believe this.  WE do not believe this because we feel that everyone has talent and can contribute no matter who they are, what color they are and what they experienced in life.  WE support all people." 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)