Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So. My son comes home and says. My teacher put me and 1 other white boy and 2 african american boys in front of our class and says. "If these 4 went in for a job. Would the white boys or the black boys get it"? Now the teacher is African American as well. Now what gets me is. Why does color even matter? If the African American boy has the better qualifacations. Then in my opinion he should get the job over my son. Its very clear to me. But I don't get how she thinks its ok to make it about race. I know that would have never crossed my sons mind til she put it there. Just wanted to get opinions and see if anyone else sees this as wrong. And if it were ur kids how would u handle it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Replies (21-30):
aetrom
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Considering My son Told me once that his favorite part of gym was Being tied above the basket and kids threw balls at him i think i would ask the teacher what the lesson was before i got riled up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Quoting aetrom:

Considering My son Told me once that his favorite part of gym was Being tied above the basket and kids threw balls at him i think i would ask the teacher what the lesson was before i got riled up.

I agree!!

BTW....what "activity" means he is tied up above the basket and kids throw balls at him?

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Absolutely! While elementary school is young for this lesson, the truth is racism plays a big role in future employment. Some people won't get a job because their skin is black. For that matter, some people with white skin won't either though I don't think that's as common.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Is this in the elementary grades?  That is an odd lesson but unfortunately true in this world that race plays a big factor in gaining employment so does a persons name .

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Some people won't get jobs because they have tattoos, some won't because they have too many earrings or piercings, some people because they are women, some people because they look like they like rock music, etc.  It's all stupid but it happens.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Absolutely! While elementary school is young for this lesson, the truth is racism plays a big role in future employment. Some people won't get a job because their skin is black. For that matter, some people with white skin won't either though I don't think that's as common.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Is this in the elementary grades?  That is an odd lesson but unfortunately true in this world that race plays a big factor in gaining employment so does a persons name .

iansusie
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:37 PM

It is February, Black History month. Perhaps she was teaching a lesson about how it was back in the day?When AA went to different school, had to sit in the back of the bus, could not drink from the same fountain, etc. My kids never even thought about color until last year when my youngest was in pre K and they did a project/show. Each kid represented a famous black person. They heard about Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King, etc. He learned about races and unfairness but also learned it was not right. unfortunately, in many instances, what the teacher presented is what does happen in the work force, sometimes.

paknari
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:38 PM
What was the lesson about. I doubt she just randomly stood the kids up there. What were they talking about that lead to it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iansusie
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sorry but I don't think you need to get riled up. And I do not think they are too young. My kid at 4 learned this and that has not changed how he views other kids. He was disgusted at what it used to be like and glad he doesn't live in that period of history and he can have friends of any color. 

Now the teacher was probably trying to get the kids to have a visual. It is easier for a kid to see that their friend who is white is no better or worse than their friend who is black than to have the teacher put a drawing of a white and a black man. It is an opportunity for kids to have a discussion with their parents and an opportunity for her to teach them that it is important to get an education and work hard and be the best you can be, so that no one can determine who you ARE or who you become by your skin color.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Quoting iansusie:

I am sorry but I don't think you need to get riled up. And I do not think they are too young. My kid at 4 learned this and that has not changed how he views other kids. He was disgusted at what it used to be like and glad he doesn't live in that period of history and he can have friends of any color. 

Now the teacher was probably trying to get the kids to have a visual. It is easier for a kid to see that their friend who is white is no better or worse than their friend who is black than to have the teacher put a drawing of a white and a black man. It is an opportunity for kids to have a discussion with their parents and an opportunity for her to teach them that it is important to get an education and work hard and be the best you can be, so that no one can determine who you ARE or who you become by your skin color.

BEST ANSWER!  Love it.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Exactly.

Quoting M4LG5:

Some people won't get jobs because they have tattoos, some won't because they have too many earrings or piercings, some people because they are women, some people because they look like they like rock music, etc.  It's all stupid but it happens.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I would talk to the teacher first before getting riled up about it.

Your son might have actually understood the lesson she was trying to teach but couldn't explain it well enough. I have a feeling that you are probably missing some important details in the lesson that was discussed.

Personally, I'd want the full story from the teacher's mouth before getting emotional over it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)