Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
So. My son comes home and says. My teacher put me and 1 other white boy and 2 african american boys in front of our class and says. "If these 4 went in for a job. Would the white boys or the black boys get it"? Now the teacher is African American as well. Now what gets me is. Why does color even matter? If the African American boy has the better qualifacations. Then in my opinion he should get the job over my son. Its very clear to me. But I don't get how she thinks its ok to make it about race. I know that would have never crossed my sons mind til she put it there. Just wanted to get opinions and see if anyone else sees this as wrong. And if it were ur kids how would u handle it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Replies (31-40):
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Quoting iansusie:

I am sorry but I don't think you need to get riled up. And I do not think they are too young. My kid at 4 learned this and that has not changed how he views other kids. He was disgusted at what it used to be like and glad he doesn't live in that period of history and he can have friends of any color. 

Now the teacher was probably trying to get the kids to have a visual. It is easier for a kid to see that their friend who is white is no better or worse than their friend who is black than to have the teacher put a drawing of a white and a black man. It is an opportunity for kids to have a discussion with their parents and an opportunity for her to teach them that it is important to get an education and work hard and be the best you can be, so that no one can determine who you ARE or who you become by your skin color.

I would agree that the kids aren't too young. We've always lived in very diverse communities, and so I had some frank age appropriate discussions with my son about some of the history of racism in our country from a young age...probably around 4 or 5. I also agree that it has not changed his views on skin color. My son has close friends with all different ethnic backgrounds.

soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:46 PM

It is odd but who knows what she was trying to teach. 

family in the van   Mom of four

MJP76
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Oh wow! 

Umm... Report the teacher...

mama.samm.2.3
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:38 PM
That would upset me! But like others have pointed out it is black history month so maybe she was trying to tie that in some how. I would go and have a meeting with the teacher and calmly discuss your concerns with her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

If it bothered me I would ask the teacher the context of the conversation. 

There's a very good chance you're not getting the whole story. Kids aren't very accurate when it comes to retelling events. 

LadyNCVE
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:59 PM

If it were me I'd call or email and ask for more details.  I'm "assuming" he was trying to see where the thoughts of the kids were and possibly using it as a way to teach a lesson on equality.  I've seen something like that on TV somewhere. But it involved pictures and not students in front of their peers. 

I'd also talk to my son about it.

LoveMyLos
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:52 PM

im gonna say bc it is black history month. was there a lesson behind it? or just a random question? i can't say either way unless i know what the point was.

LoveMyLos
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:54 PM

why would you just up and report the teacher without knowing the story behind it? thats a bit much.

Quoting MJP76:

Oh wow! 

MJP76
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Because the question is inappropriate. I mean obviously common sense implies that you would get to the bottom of it first... But the question as presented here is just inappropriate.

Quoting LoveMyLos:

why would you just up and report the teacher without knowing the story behind it? thats a bit much.

Quoting MJP76:

Oh wow! 

janitablue
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I agreed with Barbara. I also want to point out as one mom comment  discrimination do happen. You can raise your children to respect other people race and culture but people do get discrimination by the skin of their color. . I also would like to applaud you for teaching your children values of respecting a person no matter what color of their skin is.

Quoting Barabell:

I would talk to the teacher first before getting riled up about it.

Your son might have actually understood the lesson she was trying to teach but couldn't explain it well enough. I have a feeling that you are probably missing some important details in the lesson that was discussed.

Personally, I'd want the full story from the teacher's mouth before getting emotional over it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN