Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Should I be concerned?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM
  • 15 Replies

I sent my son's teacher an email yesterday asking how he been doing with listening and paying attention in class. Below is what she had to say...

- needs 5 - 10 reminders not to run, wonder, stay focused, put things away that should not be out, listen and pay attention and participate during math instead of reading a book or playing with things at his desk and wondering to the sink.

- said she gives him challenges everyday to keep him interested and on his toes. said it doesn't always make a difference.

This is all she said. Should I be alarmed or is this normal behavior for an 8 year old? He is my first child so I have no idea.

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM

The first thing I would do is asking him about all of this then make an appointment with the teacher to work with her about what he said and a plan to make sure he stays on task.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Did she seem worried or frustrated?  I would bring this up during a face to face meeting.

RaizingBoyz
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:34 PM

She did not seem worried or frustrated. The only reason I asked is because it was marked on a report at the beginning of the year. Then at conference she hardly even mentioned it. Then on recent report mentioned that his listening was improving, So I just wanted to check in again and see how he was doing.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, I think that reminding a child 5-10 times to do anything is a lot and is a problem that needs to be worked on.  I would set up a face to face meeting to see what you both can do to work on his attention skills.

Sunnydayhere
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

First of all, I am assuming she meant wander? Not wonder? Secondly, yes it sounds like he is needing to work on his focus.

1234abcd4321
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:46 PM

wondering? jeez louise..

5-10 sounds like a little much. 5 tops is probably acceptable.

RaizingBoyz
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Sorry...typo. WANDERING.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM
I would talk to your son, ask why he doesn't focus and set up a meeting with the teacher to come up with a plan for him to be successful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
urbpro
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with pp about setting up a meeting with the teacher. Honestly, when I read the first part, I assumed he was in Kindergarten.  8 is old enough to follow directions, focus on a task and not wander around.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I agree that you should probably set up a face to face appointment.  Ask her to explain what she's seeing and work together to find ways to help him with his focus or find out what it is that is constantly distracting him. I'd also sit down and talk with your son about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)