Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I sent my son's teacher an email yesterday asking how he been doing with listening and paying attention in class. Below is what she had to say...

- needs 5 - 10 reminders not to run, wonder, stay focused, put things away that should not be out, listen and pay attention and participate during math instead of reading a book or playing with things at his desk and wondering to the sink.

- said she gives him challenges everyday to keep him interested and on his toes. said it doesn't always make a difference.

This is all she said. Should I be alarmed or is this normal behavior for an 8 year old? He is my first child so I have no idea.

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Replies (11-15):
soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I agree with this.  We had trouble with our youngest focusing and stuff so we discussed in person what we could do to help.

Quoting M4LG5:

The first thing I would do is asking him about all of this then make an appointment with the teacher to work with her about what he said and a plan to make sure he stays on task.

family in the van   Mom of four

LadyNCVE
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I just created a post and mentioned my sons teachers comments as well. :/  She tends to be short and stern in her messages.  I try to ask for more details and examples. I'm still practicing though.  I'd stop her at the end of the day if possible to ask more questions or set up a meeting.

janitablue
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Set up a meeting in a nice way if she can explain in detail so you can understand what is going on in class and you are will to help improve the situation. Good luck.

Quoting LadyNCVE:

I just created a post and mentioned my sons teachers comments as well. :/  She tends to be short and stern in her messages.  I try to ask for more details and examples. I'm still practicing though.  I'd stop her at the end of the day if possible to ask more questions or set up a meeting.

KKmommy3
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I would be wondering why the teacher did not contact me about this problem by now.  Would she not have said anything about it and just let the problem go?  What if you did not email her when you did?

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Honestly, I think that reminding a child 5-10 times to do anything is a lot and is a problem that needs to be worked on.  I would set up a face to face meeting to see what you both can do to work on his attention skills.

Agreed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)