Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I need to relax or should keep pushing for a solution?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM
  • 11 Replies

At my daughters school, the parents for the first few mos were good at following the flow of traffic.. Parking in parking spots, or in the loading/unloading lanes.. 

But Now..

They are getting pretty out of hand.. They stop and park where ever.. Sometimes blocking me in or other parents in. Its getting super annoying and its not more of a disrespect thing. I am lost why people take the easy road and just park instead following the parking permitted area's. Their kids aren't going anywhere.. The school put in a safety pick up where parents need a pick-up pass to get their kids due to a situation that happened last year. The kids meet up at the cafeteria, sit at the tables til they see there sibling/mother/father/grandma come and get them. 

I have mentioned to the teachers that supervise the kids in the cafeteria and they just shrug it off after the secretary has asked us to let them know. And I've told the office several times but havent had the time to sit down and talk to the principal. All I get is a sorry..

I got block twice yestarday picking up my kiddo and both times I was in my car trying to get out..

So - shall I relax or keep trying til a solution is done? Also, im not the only who's been complaining.. there is several other parents who are getting annoyed with it.

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
_AshlynNicole
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:03 PM
I say keep trying until they do something about it. I know you are probably going to get on their nerves, but that's usually how things get done. You have be consistent and eventually things may change.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MissyMegs
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Quoting _AshlynNicole:

I say keep trying until they do something about it. I know you are probably going to get on their nerves, but that's usually how things get done. You have be consistent and eventually things may change.

Yeah.. I don't want to get on their nerves but they have designated spots for a reason.. Were not a rodeo where its a dirt lot and you pick where you can park.

_AshlynNicole
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:07 PM
I know what you mean. DD is only 3, but her daycare parking lot gets crazy for no reason sometimes. Parents park in random spots and end up blocking people in which creates more traffic.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:13 PM

We've had the same problem for the past five years at our school.  I use to think it was the size of the parking (partially it is), but it's more of a disrespect thing.  My son started middle school this year, which only has about 1/3rd of the students of his previous school.  On any given day there are 50 open parking spots.  But, parents still don't use them.  Last year, we had two car accidents (requiring police to be called) in the parking lot.  Bad enough that one of the fenders fell off.  Now, imagine if that was a child.

Not sure how your school district runs, but I would make an appointment to talk with the principle and tell him your seriously concerned about the safety of the students.  When you go in, outline a few things you think might help.  If you feel your not getting anywhere, contact the superintendent and the school board if necessary.

MissyMegs
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Quoting _AshlynNicole:

I know what you mean. DD is only 3, but her daycare parking lot gets crazy for no reason sometimes. Parents park in random spots and end up blocking people in which creates more traffic.

Yikes.. Im 20wks pregnant and lately been super constipated and in pain that all i wanna do is get my daughter and go home but I still have the decent respect to park where i need to. If I have to park on the street which is only 20ft walk to where i usually would park.. by golly ill park there. 

MissyMegs
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Quoting GotSomeKids:

We've had the same problem for the past five years at our school.  I use to think it was the size of the parking (partially it is), but it's more of a disrespect thing.  My son started middle school this year, which only has about 1/3rd of the students of his previous school.  On any given day there are 50 open parking spots.  But, parents still don't use them.  Last year, we had two car accidents (requiring police to be called) in the parking lot.  Bad enough that one of the fenders fell off.  Now, imagine if that was a child.

Not sure how your school district runs, but I would make an appointment to talk with the principle and tell him your seriously concerned about the safety of the students.  When you go in, outline a few things you think might help.  If you feel your not getting anywhere, contact the superintendent and the school board if necessary.

I will do that.. Tomorrow is student/teacher conferences. I wonder if he'll be around. Maybe I can chat with him tomorrow. The principal is very understanding and super nice.. I mean he was planing on letting me help him after one chat with him with some presentations but I got pregnant and morning sickness kicked in.. 

They teachers and secretary aren't sure how to address.. I've mentioned if they put a sign on the door of the cafeteria or even just made 50 flyers stating they are aware, the parents would know and park as they should.. 

The parking lot in this school is small.. the spots in front of the cafeteria fill up fast and the loading lane 1 fills up fast but lane two doesn't so much because someone has to block a way for the other parents to get in that lane.. But there is plenty of parking spot.. Parents are too lazy to walk a lil bit.

GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Not sure how persistent these parents are in not parking.  We started out with putting cones in the areas where they could not load/park.  Parents would get out and move them.  I've been blocked in before and I've had a parent refuse to move.  I've even tried to park in the parking stalls, but had a parent blocking it too.  It's maddening sometimes.  And, we have a special situation, because the principal was so fed up, he wanted to close the parking lot in the mornings and after (being open only for staff and am/pm kindergarten).  But, that causes issues with the neighborhood across the street and they complain (although the school was there before the neighborhood was).  Really there is only enough parking for the staff and maybe an additional 20 cars.  The loading "only" zone only fits about 5 cars at any given moment. But, there is a pick up area on the side of the school, but the neighbors complain about it all the time but its school property to do with as they wish.

Wish they would have a lower cap on student enrollment.  We have 742 students.

Quoting MissyMegs:

Quoting GotSomeKids:

I will do that.. Tomorrow is student/teacher conferences. I wonder if he'll be around. Maybe I can chat with him tomorrow. The principal is very understanding and super nice.. I mean he was planing on letting me help him after one chat with him with some presentations but I got pregnant and morning sickness kicked in.. 

They teachers and secretary aren't sure how to address.. I've mentioned if they put a sign on the door of the cafeteria or even just made 50 flyers stating they are aware, the parents would know and park as they should.. 

The parking lot in this school is small.. the spots in front of the cafeteria fill up fast and the loading lane 1 fills up fast but lane two doesn't so much because someone has to block a way for the other parents to get in that lane.. But there is plenty of parking spot.. Parents are too lazy to walk a lil bit.

thebailiffs
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I would really take this issue to the principal.  That is the person who is ultimately responsible for the kids and parents. It might be as easy as a notice in a bulletin.  

This sounds like a BIG safetly issue that needs to be worked on.

If you need to ask the principal to come and see what is happening during this time.

Do not stop, take it to another level.   

MissyMegs
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

So good news...

I talked to the principal and he is going to personally talk to the ones who do it persistantly and do a flyer saying to make enough room for other parents to get out.. Hopefully they listen and take a hint.

hEiDiMaRiE25
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I would talk to other parents, and take it to the school board.... At my sons school they have the principle and two volunteers directing traffic. the school is very small so if this was not in place i would probably be in the same situation. good luck, and keep us updated :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)