Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

should i be worried

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:09 AM
  • 9 Replies

my son is in kindergarten and his teacher has been telling me that he is not focusing well in school. she has sent home homework and specific projects for him to do at home and he is able to do them with minimal helpfrom me. he seems to have good focus at home. he does  have issues listening to me at times. i am just wondering if i should be worried.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
funhappymom
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Have you talked to him about why he's not focusing and paying attention in school? Maybe there is a friend who sits nearby that is distracting him. Maybe he's bored, maybe he's tired. There could be numerous reasons why he isn't able to focus.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I agree with PP.  Also remember that there are a lot more distractions at school than at home.  When there are 25+ kids in a classroom, one of them is almost always doing something that is distracting to another child.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM

True!  Is this his first experience in a classroom setting? 

Quoting steelcrazy:

I agree with PP.  Also remember that there are a lot more distractions at school than at home.  When there are 25+ kids in a classroom, one of them is almost always doing something that is distracting to another child.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Quoting funhappymom:

Have you talked to him about why he's not focusing and paying attention in school? Maybe there is a friend who sits nearby that is distracting him. Maybe he's bored, maybe he's tired. There could be numerous reasons why he isn't able to focus.

I agree with this.

In addition, do you have an only child? I do, and he often wants to socialize more than focus on school work. I found that keeping him regularly involved in clubs or sports with peers outside of school helps him stay more focused while in school because he has that socialization with peers in another setting.

hEiDiMaRiE25
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Wow, I'm having the same problem.... my son has a psychologist at his school that told me it could just be the distractions of friends, and not having the same rules as he has at home. what i have started doing is having him understand that learning and schoolwork is the same rather at school or home. i have set up a daily report with his teacher. she emails me everyday after school. so when my son gets home, i already know whats going on and he understands that mommy and the teacher are on the same page. it seems to be working. my biggest problem is his behavior at school.... but that's a whole other post lol

soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Sounds like to many distractions at school.  If he was having trouble focusing at home, I'd be worried.

family in the van   Mom of four

ruggy03
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Can I just say KINDERGARTEN...I am reading this thinking homework,im sorry but if a teacher was to call me about my 5 year old not finishing classwork or being distracted i would laugh and say.Take all the colorful things out,put them in cubicles and deal with it.thats the beginning of the school starting the whole adhd record.Kindergarten is for social skills,abc,writing names,naptime,snacktime,storytime.Why would they make it a miserable experience?
Karen_S
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

If a kindergarten teacher is making the comment, then she is saying that compared to other kids his age he has a focus problem.  So, sure, you can assume the teacher is a moron who has no idea what normal 5yo kids are like.  Or you could take the time to listen, and maybe get him evaluated, in case there is an issue that could be addressed.  So I would not panic, but I would take it seriously enough to really talk and listen to the teacher.

Quoting ruggy03:

Can I just say KINDERGARTEN...I am reading this thinking homework,im sorry but if a teacher was to call me about my 5 year old not finishing classwork or being distracted i would laugh and say.Take all the colorful things out,put them in cubicles and deal with it.thats the beginning of the school starting the whole adhd record.Kindergarten is for social skills,abc,writing names,naptime,snacktime,storytime.Why would they make it a miserable experience?

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth. 

Does she think the teacher is telling every single parent the same thing because she doesn't know what five year olds act like?

Quoting Karen_S:

If a kindergarten teacher is making the comment, then she is saying that compared to other kids his age he has a focus problem.  So, sure, you can assume the teacher is a moron who has no idea what normal 5yo kids are like.  Or you could take the time to listen, and maybe get him evaluated, in case there is an issue that could be addressed.  So I would not panic, but I would take it seriously enough to really talk and listen to the teacher.

Quoting ruggy03:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)